You are here

USB audio interface: Behringer or Steinberg?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

USB audio interface: Behringer or Steinberg?

Postby Airlane » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi
I want to record at home just me on keyboards and elec guitar through a multi-FX, no mics. This is just for my own pleasure as a hobby and no-one is likely to even hear the results, let alone participate in my music-making. I've a Win 10 laptop with no DAW yet, Yamaha MX49 synth with its own USB interface (no Cubase AI as I bought it used), all sent through a Behringer mixer which sounds fine.

I need a USB interface and a simple DAW. I have little cash. Options:
- Steinberg UR22 mkII 2x2 with free Cubase AI which the Yamaha synth is designed to interface with - about £100; or
- Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD 2x2 with free Tracktion 6 or something similar, about £55.

Recommendation?
Airlane
Poster

Re: USB audio interface: Behringer or Steinberg?

Postby bill555 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Behringer, as it's far cheaper and you said you have little cash and the diff between them is minimal at most.

For a DAW, Audacity is limited and a lot of people sneer at it, but it's free and if what you're doing is pretty basic, odds are it's more than enough. Certainly nothing to lose by trying. If you find it isn't working out, many people like Reaper, which you can download for free on a trial basis and purchase is $60 (cheaper than most). Or you could keep downloading a new trial version every so often. :)
bill555
Regular

Postby John Willett » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Focusrite Scarlett ?

Solo or 2i2 - one under £100, the other just over, both come with Pro Tools.

Personally, I would NOT get a Behringer.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 am

I'd go for one that includes Cubase AI. Your MX49 will automatically be configured as a remote controller (using the front panel buttons) & the voices can be imported as a .XML file. When you changes voices in your DAW the MX49 will switch automatically. You can download the drivers/software from https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_p ... oduct-tabs even if you bought it used. There might even be a sound editor, but I could be thinking of the MOX not MX.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:08 am

bill555 wrote:... many people like Reaper, which you can download for free on a trial basis and purchase is $60 (cheaper than most). Or you could keep downloading a new trial version every so often. :)

Quite obviously, SOS doesn't condone this kind of avoiding payment: it is piracy and it's against the forum rules to advocate it. Cockos Reaper is incredibly inexpensive for what it can do, and buying a licence helps to secure its future development. If the software has a value to you, play fair and buy a licence!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:I'd go for one that includes Cubase A1. Your MX49 will automatically be configured as a remote controller (using the front panel buttons) & the voices can be imported as a .XML file. When you changes voices in your DAW the MX49 will switch automatically. You can download the drivers/software from https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_p ... oduct-tabs even if you bought it used. There might even be a sound editor, but I could be thinking of the MOX not MX.

I second this, as I have a MX49 I bought for my Linnstrument. There’s a review right here in SOS on it: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-mx49
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
bill555 wrote:... many people like Reaper, which you can download for free on a trial basis and purchase is $60 (cheaper than most). Or you could keep downloading a new trial version every so often. :)

Quite obviously, SOS doesn't condone this kind of avoiding payment: it is piracy and it's against the forum rules to advocate it. Cockos Reaper is incredibly inexpensive for what it can do, and buying a licence helps to secure its future development. If the software has a value to you, play fair and buy a licence!

H

Absolutely... not to mention that the license is good for two major iterations. I bought V4 and have been going for years now with an amazing amount of feature updates. I’ll buy V6 as soon as it comes out.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser918214 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:36 am

I am very happy with my Behringer interface so far.
forumuser918214
Poster

Postby Ariosto » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 am

"Quite obviously, SOS doesn't condone this kind of avoiding payment: it is piracy and it's against the forum rules to advocate it. Cockos Reaper is incredibly inexpensive for what it can do, and buying a licence helps to secure its future development. If the software has a value to you, play fair and buy a licence!

H"

I would definitely agree with this, because you can download the full program and try for a few weeks. If you want it then get a licence which for small business use (if that's what you are) and it will cost approx. £50 depending on the exchange rate. You will get updates for a long time (if you want) - even for years. It also has a very good and helpful forum. And in my opinion it is a very good program, and new versions are available every couple of months, to download.

Paying the licence helps future developments and continuation.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:29 pm

My vote is cheap and simple. Go with the Behringer, though I'm no expert.

My experiences with Behringer have been hit and miss. Their guitar amps are awful, but the Interfaces actually look decent. My local shop is often selling out.

I plan to get one in a few months to record vocal overdubs without needing my multitrack recorder.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Airlane » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:27 pm

I think Dynamic Mike and resistorman have convinced me that the Steinberg is the right choice for me, mainly because it goes so well with my Yamaha MX49 synth, Thanks.
Airlane
Poster

Postby holsen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:23 am

I just bought one of each and I must say I'm completely impressed with the Behringer. No latency, no noise, almost plug & play and 3rd of the price of the Steinburg which a great unit but no better than the 202HD except for the Midi inputs. If you need Midi, then go for the U-Phoria 204HD. Behringer get a bad rap from days back but this interface with the Midas preamps is incredible. This is not the same old Behringer.
holsen