You are here

Doors for a studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Doors for a studio

Postby darrylportelli » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:05 am

Hey
so when I bought the new house I made sure I have space for a studio,
I have a live room and a control room to work with.
This is on the 2nd floor (top floor) with no building above the studio and no building surrounding the rooms of the studio. I have attached a JPEG of the plan of it.

The question is regarding Door materials. Currently I have no doors in place (talking about door 1 and door 2 on the plan I drew) and thus the studio is "connected" to the whole house and it is acting as a natural reverb chamber - leading to at least 5 seconds of reverb :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

obviously before moving on to acoustic treatment, I need to put doors in place.
from what I looked around I found - PVC, Aluminum and wood as options. and also Single vs double glazed windows.
regarding construction - I need to check whether brick or stone was used. From what I understand, the door needs to be only as insulating as the materials of which the walls were built (example it is useless having a really thick insulating door if your doors are made of cardboard) .

any help regarding which would be the best option?
I was thinking single or double glazed aluminum and then attach a broadband absorbtion panel about 2" off the door to have another layer overhanging the door

darrylportelli
Poster

Re: Doors for a studio

Postby darrylportelli » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:09 am

darrylportelli
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm

A good compromise between cost and effectiveness are 60 minute wood faced fire doors - especially if you can use 2 of them spaced apart.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Don't forget that a good seal around all the door edges is also essential for soundproofing. so dropping hinges and a pull-tight handle are normally used. No point having a thick door if there's a nice gap all the way around the edges. And as James says, two doors (opening in opposite directions on each side of the wall) are a lot better than one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 pm

Wonks is right about door seals - in my last studio which used professionally produced studio doors they used magnetic seals which are similar to fridge seals.
James Perrett

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 pm

My Everest front door is on a 'cam-back' system into the seals. You might be able to pick up a mildly damaged one and clad it with plasterboard to add some mass.

BTW, the hinges you need are called 'rising butts' if going for a conventional door.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby darrylportelli » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am

Hey, Cheers for the replies

Regarding material, Which would be the best choice, aluminum or wood?
Im unlikely to find a company that produces studio doors where I live (malta) thus I have to make due with what I have. What I was thinking is that I get the thickest wood door I can find (and that I can afford) and possibly buy a seal kit I found online, or make one myself (they dont look overtly complicated)

regarding the rising butt hinges- so they raise the door slightly when opened and lower it on to a rubber seal when closing right? can they be installed on any wood door or does the door have to be specifically constructed for those types of hinges?

darrylportelli
Poster

Postby darrylportelli » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 am

https://www.soundinsulation.ie/door-soundproofing/13-acoustic-door-seal.html

this seal looks interesting, and not very expensive either
darrylportelli
Poster

Postby darrylportelli » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 am

https://www.jgrima.com/en/products/products/72/fonturia-soundproof-fire-door-.htm

found this fire door / soundproof door locally ... don't have any idea on price yet

any feedback on it ?
darrylportelli
Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 am

"withstands up to 35 decibels" is a strange expression - does if fall apart if it gets louder than that? :bouncy:
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

MarkPAman wrote:"withstands up to 35 decibels" is a strange expression - does if fall apart if it gets louder than that? :bouncy:

Yes, I thought that a strange 'specc' as well Mark! They probably mean there is a 35dB difference either side of the door!

I know nothing of acoustic building speccs but I would think that a pretty good figure if true?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 pm

From the specs that I've just Googled it would seem that 35dB is about right for attenuation for a 60 minute fire door. The main thing that they don't tell you is how that attenuation varies with frequency as the quoted figure is usually an average over a range of frequencies. I'd want to look at more detailed acoustic specs if they are available.
James Perrett

Postby darrylportelli » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 am

So i've been looking round and found a company that gave me a quotation for an aluminum door with rubber sealing edges double glazed glass filled with argon for 360 eur ... im gonna keep looking and if i get a door i'll post db measurements....

My question is - what's better, argon filled or vacuum double glazed glass?? My guess is vacuum as sound needs matter to travel through
darrylportelli
Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:43 am

I would have said vacuum.

But do you need a window? If so I have just 'invented' a gadget that could solve the problem.

Is there a very cheap, wireless screen (could just be B&W) with a camera in it? Hang one each side of a door and you have a totally sound sealed "window".

In fact does not even have to be wireless in many cases, ~6mm hole would take a two way RJ45 link.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm

ef37a wrote:But do you need a window? If so I have just 'invented' a gadget that could solve the problem.

Is there a very cheap, wireless screen (could just be B&W) with a camera in it? Hang one each side of a door and you have a totally sound sealed "window".

In fact does not even have to be wireless in many cases, ~6mm hole would take a two way RJ45 link.

Dave.

Now that is a CLASSIC example of lateral thinking Dave :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 am

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:But do you need a window? If so I have just 'invented' a gadget that could solve the problem.

Dave.

Now that is a CLASSIC example of lateral thinking Dave :clap:

Martin

Thank you Martin. Was my job for many years, solving problems, cannot think why I ain't rich!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 am

Solving problems isn't how you get rich.
You get rich by persuading other people that they have a problem...

...for which you just so happen to have a solution.
:)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 am

blinddrew wrote:Solving problems isn't how you get rich.
You get rich by persuading other people that they have a problem...

...for which you just so happen to have a solution.
:)

Ah! The Old Joke: "Who do you THINK created the chaos?"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby darrylportelli » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Got the double glazed argon filled door .... it has rubber seals all around ... and i told them i want it with a "ledge" on the bottom as well so that it has a rubber seal all around and doest leave a gap beneath the door ....
As soon as it is installed i'll run pink noise on the monitors and take spl readings at a specific length interval on the inside and outside of the door to see the db difference and post the result :)
darrylportelli
Poster

Postby PRTLA » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Darryl

Some time ago asking myself about the door acoustic treatment I found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2MTodSzfts meaby you can get some ideas from it.
PRTLA
New here