You are here

8x8 MIDI Interfaces... where are they?!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: 8x8 MIDI Interfaces... where are they?!

Postby simonstock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:29 pm

siderealxxx wrote:So I looked around at what's on the market and the choice is only the MOTU 128 which lots of people are also complaining about with El Capitan (despite being so called class compliant) or an iConnectivity Mio 10 (whoever/whatever that is)

The MIDI Express 128 is NOT class-compliant. It requires MOTU's MIDI Driver to be installed.
simonstock
Musictrack Ltd. - UK/Eire Distributor for MOTU

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:26 am

http://www.kentonuk.com/

Anything there ^ that helps? And, saw a MOTU 128 in Cash Gens a few weeks ago, wonder if it is still there (might have cooled off by now!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Kenton do some useful stuff, but there's nothing there to compete with the analogue MIDI patchbays of old. I wonder if this is the sort of thing Orchid Electronics would make up... I'll drop him a line.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Mixedup wrote:Kenton do some useful stuff, but there's nothing there to compete with the analogue MIDI patchbays of old. I wonder if this is the sort of thing Orchid Electronics would make up... I'll drop him a line.

Aha! Are you talking about a PASSIVE patch bay? If so have a look/think about a bog standard CAT5 bay with shielded jacks. You would (I think) just need DIN to RJ45 converter cables* and then patch leads. Of course you could do the same with TRS jacks but there is always the possibility of a miss-plug!

*I have done this, they work!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 pm

That might work, I suppose, though it's a little crude. I was thinking more along the lines of the DACS MIDI Patchbay, which I think had some active buffering going on too. Externally, it presented two rows of 10 MIDI Dins on the back (to hook up your gear's MIDI In and Out), and then had dedicated In, Out and Thru jack sockets on the front panel — which obviously used the same patch cables as any other 1/4 inch jack patchbays you have. Either way, I like the idea of something like this that doesn't rely on driver updates to keep functioning in the modern world, and means you don't have to leave a gazillion USB devices hooked up to your computer all the time!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm

One of our esteemed member sis selling his Steinberg Midex-8 for chips.

Anyone interested please PM me.
Zukan

Postby bill555 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Not sure I'm clear on all this generally, clues appreciated. You can/cannot simply hook up a MIDI cable to an AI without MIDI and voila, effectively the same as an AI with built-in MIDI?
bill555
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 pm

bill555 wrote:Not sure I'm clear on all this generally, clues appreciated. You can/cannot simply hook up a MIDI cable to an AI without MIDI and voila, effectively the same as an AI with built-in MIDI?

Generally speaking, an audio interface with MIDI is *two* things - an audio interface, and a MIDI interface (those are seen as separate things by the OS).

If you have an audio interface that doesn't have MIDI, then it has no MIDI ports, nor does it's driver handle MIDI to/from your computer. In essence, the audio interface knows nothing about MIDI, it only knows how to pass audio.

In this case you can simply get a second, MIDI only interface, to provide MIDI to/from your computer.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby midierror » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:24 am

I'm a bit late to the party here...but I am selling a 8x8 Midisport if anyone is interested?

Check the SOS ads
midierror
Regular

Postby interphazem3 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 am

I use a Motu express 128 midi patchbay with OSX Yosemite no problems had it for a while now no problems so far 8/8 mode setup running with cubase is ok
interphazem3

Postby Waltern8tor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:22 am

Kenton interchanger under development at the moment looks very promising.

https://kentonuk.com/interchanger/

8x DIN MIDI inputs and outputs on the back panel. Pairs 7 & 8 are also duplicated on the front panel for easy access – which input is active is set in the configuration.
4x USB ‘host’ ports for up to 4 class compliant USB MIDI devices, each of which can be a source and destination in the routing matrix.
USB ‘device’ port to allow the Interchanger to be connected to a computer, where it appears as 4x inputs and outputs that can be used as sources and destinations in the routing matrix.
16×16 internal routing matrix (8x DIN I/O, 4x USB host, 4x USB device) – any combination of inputs can be routed to any combination of outputs.
Multiple operations can be chained at each intersection on the routing matrix – including MIDI merging, filtering, scaling, transposition and message transformation.
Fully programmable on the unit itself, although a remote editor program is planned as well.
Can store and recall 255 patches, as well as 255 scenes. As part of a scene, the Interchanger can send out MIDI program changes and bank select messages for each channel on each port.
Has a dedicated 3-digit LED display showing the current scene number for easy visibility.
Dual assignable footswitch inputs.
Multiple units can be linked together for an expanded routing matrix.
1U rack unit with removable ears.
Waltern8tor
Regular

Previous