You are here

Condenser or Capacitor...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Condenser or Capacitor...

Postby James Perrett » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:04 am

Martin Walker wrote:Talking of cigars, if you plug a capacitor in the wrong way round it also starts emitting a puff of smoke, and may even explode! :?

And Rifa capacitors have a habit of smoking even when they're connected correctly.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Matt Houghton » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:36 am

James Perrett wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Talking of cigars, if you plug a capacitor in the wrong way round it also starts emitting a puff of smoke, and may even explode! :?

And Rifa capacitors have a habit of smoking even when they're connected correctly.

Yeah, but that's an easy problem to weed out.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:04 am

Matt Houghton wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:29 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Matt Houghton wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
and a few more
:clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 pm

I think that needs a Twitter hash-tag.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Here's a thought....

SOS Christmas Crackers...?

You wouldn't have to look far for the jokes....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:00 am

It's just language, right? Capacitor, condenser...meh.

I was sat in a bar in Tokyo once with a Brit and we were making a list of all the words that changed across the Atlantic - gas/petrol, lift/elevator - that sort of thing. When we got up to 150 items or so, we gave up and ordered another round.

The language in this thread that caught my eye was a couple of posters who referred to 'our colonial friends'. Yeah, right. That includes me. Just for your information, I'm not colonial, and I'm not your friend. But it's just language, right?

Let it go.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"Against stupidity we are defenseless."  - ascribed to poor old Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who felt defenseless against stupidity

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:46 am

awjoe wrote:The language in this thread that caught my eye was a couple of posters who referred to 'our colonial friends'. Yeah, right. That includes me. Just for your information, I'm not colonial, and I'm not your friend.

That's a phrase I used. No offence was intended but I apologise if I inadvertently caused some. I'll endeavour to find a less (humorously-intended-but-) controversial descriptor in future.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
awjoe wrote:The language in this thread that caught my eye was a couple of posters who referred to 'our colonial friends'. Yeah, right. That includes me. Just for your information, I'm not colonial, and I'm not your friend.

That's a phrase I used. No offence was intended but I apologise if I inadvertently caused some. I'll endeavour to find a less (humorously-intended-but-) controversial descriptor in future.

H

'tis a phrase I sometimes use... or 'colonial cousins'....

Like Hugh, no offence intended... actually meant in a 'warm and inclusive' way. Sorry if it's not received like that.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 pm

As a colonial cousin I feel warm and included, even if it wasn't meant that way, (and I know it was) I still wouldn't feel offended. I'm generally not a ranter but knowing the spirit of the dissemination of knowledge gained through experience shared on these forums I can't imagine anyone deliberately trying to offend others.
Unless some person called another a real Dick. Even then as there is no irony, sarcasm or warm affection fonts yet, the intention of the original poster can only be estimated. Some people estimate wrong.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm

I've been coming here for a long time and will continue so to do. I've got good feelings about the people I mentioned, so no harm, no foul. My point is that with language it's really easy to take issue with so much stuff :protest: (I gave an example of that by way of demonstration) that it's often easier to let go :shh: than to get into a knot about it. I'm not in a knot. :wave:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"Against stupidity we are defenseless."  - ascribed to poor old Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who felt defenseless against stupidity

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:13 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I can't imagine anyone deliberately trying to offend others.

I can and it does happen, but it's thankfully rare and the mods are usually prompt at controlling it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Previous