You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby DarrenGlen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:07 am

Hi all, just wanted to mention that I have been working on restoring an old knackered Jupiter 8 to new condition, taking pics and video every step of the way inside and describing what the parts are and where I am sourcing them from. A friend suggested I put the pics up on a blog, the address is :
www.jup8restoration.wordpress.com

Since i started this thing it seems to have turned up on Hackaday, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and synthtopia to name a few. Quite amazing really how it’s taken off I hope the info helps someone out there!

Cheers!
DarrenGlen
Poster

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 am

I've been following your blog, and think it's fantastic!

I'm really enjoying your journey, I'm a huge JP8 fan, will never own one, and I'm rooting for you 100% to end up with an immaculate, beautiful looking and sounding instrument of your dreams!

Thanks for sharing! :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 am

It's always good to see someone bringing one of these old beasts back to life. I sold my old JP-8 a couple of years back, because the stress of ownership was too much for me.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi forumuser782540, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

A totally fascinating read, so thanks for posting.

And please don't be bashful - give yourself a more revealing forum name so we can get to know you a bit better (after all, we love what we've heard so far ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 pm

That's some serious dedication that is. Impressive results.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Just reading it with interest (and I'm a guitarist not a keyboard player though I did sell keys and synths for a living back in the late '70s)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Impressive dedication, and an interesting read. I'm eagerly awaiting the new screen printing!

I can certainly appreciate the desire to own one of these glorious instruments. I still remember the excitement I felt when I read through Roland's brochures back in the 70s and 80s, dreaming of owning the Jupiter 8 flagship.. but at the time the best I could afford was an SH09 mono synth to which I later added a CSQ100 sequencer.

Later, after I got a decent job in the early 1980s and started playing in a band using the guitarist's Juno60, I spent many a sleepless night trying to decide between buying a new Jupiter 6 or a pre-loved CS80. The head said the JP6 but the heart said the CS80, and that's what I went with.
Inevitably, though, I soon discovered that it really wasn't an instrument to be gigging with, and I couldn't afford to buy the Jp6 as well... so I ended up leaving the band to make way for a keyboard player with a Korg Poly61!

But the CS80 was the most stunning instrument to play and I absolutely adored it. Sadly, I made the mistake of selling it in the mid 90s because of a lack of space... something I regret almost daily!

A decade later the opportunity arose to buy a 12bit Jupiter 8 which I seized upon to re-live those teenage fantasy days... but unfortunately I was completely underwhelmed with it --probably after being so spoiled with the CS80 -- and sold it on within a year. The Arturia version provides a good enough impression of it for me now, without all the maintenance worries.

Nevertheless, the Jupiter 8 is an iconic and beautiful thing. I hope you get great pleasure from yours when it is fully restored. Keep up the good work.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby resistorman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 am

Wow, pretty much the definition of the word restoration! Great read. May you have years of enjoyment.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi forumuser782540, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

A totally fascinating read, so thanks for posting.

And please don't be bashful - give yourself a more revealing forum name so we can get to know you a bit better (after all, we love what we've heard so far ;) )

Martin
Thanks Martin! Wow ! Much respect I’ve read your articles for so long I’ve got a garage full of SOS issues proliferated with your fine work over the years. I’ve been a subscriber for over 10 years actually it’s a thrill to see you took a peek at my little blog!

(And I’ve applied for the user name change upon your advice.)

Thanks also to the other comments. Wow letting Both a CS80 AND a Jupiter 8 slip through your hands in the 90s I feel for you man :(
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 am

hi all ive just upped a new post on the first stages of putting Cora my Jupiter 8 back together, starting with the base panel. The voice boards, CPU board, Transformer etc back in place after the powder coating. Lots of pics here of the boards:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... el-part-1/

(next post im working on is my journey through the twists and turns of getting new Jupiter 8 Aluminum cheeks made from scratch!!)

cheers,
Blackout
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Great to see this coming together! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Lovely to see this, and kudos for the care and attention.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Steve A » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm

That was an amazing read. I'm mightily impressed on all counts but not least that you were actually able to obtain one without mortgaging your soul (having been down a similar route coveting said beast only to give up as well once prices got silly). Will continue to follow with great interest!
Steve A
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:hi all ive just upped a new post on the first stages of putting Cora my Jupiter 8 back together, starting with the base panel. The voice boards, CPU board, Transformer etc back in place after the powder coating. Lots of pics here of the boards:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... el-part-1/

(next post im working on is my journey through the twists and turns of getting new Jupiter 8 Aluminum cheeks made from scratch!!)

Wow - that's quite an undertaking - well done Darren! :clap:

Useful tip about cleaning up small brass parts with a dremel and a soft rubber tool head too. Must try that myself rather than getting smelly hands using a rag and brasso ;)

Looking forward to seeing these aluminium side cheeks too - are we talking machined plates?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Looking forward to seeing these aluminium side cheeks too - are we talking machined plates?

Martin

exactly Martin...laser cut, polished, anodised. I supply the exact laser machine .dwg file for the Jupiter 8 cheeks as well in the post!

(on a side note its a shame that the editors of SOS dont feel the project is worthy of mention in the actual magazine maybe you can have a whisper in their ear??)

Kind Regards,
Darren.
DarrenGlen
Poster

Next