You are here

TH3 or Amplitube 4 or Bias FX?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

TH3 or Amplitube 4 or Bias FX?

Postby Maurizio » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi all,
I demoed lots of guitar amp simulators and I have to take a decision... Which of the following 3 software do you recommend?

1) TH3
2) Amplitube 4
3) Bias FX

I love them all, but it seems that it is more simple to configure TH3 (if compared with the other) to be used with an external MIDI controller, but I could be wrong.
On the other part, I like very much Bias ToneCloud, the demo showed lots of presets from many users around the world, this is a very nice and useful feature.

Every support is welcomed.

Maurizio
Maurizio

Re: TH3 or Amplitube 4 or Bias FX?

Postby Kwackman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi Maurizio,
I've used and like TH3, but also find the Scruffham amp sim sounds really good.
If you've already tried it, ignore this message!
I'm mentioning it as it isn't as well known as the others but deserves to be, IMHO.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby rd2rk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm

More or less in order of best sound/most features/best midi implementation (I use fcb1010/UNO and Korg nanoKontrol):

TH3 - ranks above S-Gear only because of the number of amps/effects. S-Gear actually sounds better IMO. MIDI implementation is excellent. Beats out Amplitube in all categories except as mentioned in the Amplitube section below. Especially nice is the WAH can be setup to turn OFF in heel down position, no extra switch required as would be the case in Amplitube or BIAS. My only problem with TH3 is that there is virtually NO community!

S-Gear - Best sounding, great MIDI implementation, limited features (# of amps/fx), great community and support.

Amplitube - Very detailed modeling of every amp. Each generation of amps sounds better - Mesa and the latest Fender amps especially. Good MIDI implementation except for the aforementioned WAH problem, and that MIDI amp control assignments can't be saved globally, meaning that each preset has to be individually set up, big PITA.

BIAS FX/AMP - WORST MIDI IMPLEMENTATION EVER! Doesn't sound as good as the general hype would have you believe. If you really want to take advantage of all that it has to offer, you need to buy BOTH BIAS FX and BIAS AMP. Company has small staff, big aspirations. (IMO) They need to FOCUS on perfecting each product, instead of viewing each product as an income generator for the next new thing.

GR5 - old but still useful. Same MIDI problems as Amplitube, but much more flexible signal chain, and lots of wild sounding FX! I wish NI would update their amp modeling tech!
rd2rk

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 am

My Fender Mustang I (first generation... the third and latest is awful) came with Amplitube 3 CS and a small handful of the Fender sims as a freebie. I never used it until a few months ago (and a few years after I bought the Fender) where I found it had been upgraded to Amplitube CS 4.

I personally love it.. The Fender SuperSonic amp sim is fantastic for blues, really clean with a good amount of grit to give it some welly. It's probably the best tone I've ever had for blues and I've owned quite a few amps in my time.

You can get the CS version for free and only buy the amps you need. I'm going to buy the 5150 sim in the next few months as I've always loved that tone for metal and punk.

I heartily recommend it :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby Maurizio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am

rd2rk wrote:More or less in order of best sound/most features/best midi implementation (I use fcb1010/UNO and Korg nanoKontrol):

TH3 - ranks above S-Gear only because of the number of amps/effects. S-Gear actually sounds better IMO. MIDI implementation is excellent. Beats out Amplitube in all categories except as mentioned in the Amplitube section below. Especially nice is the WAH can be setup to turn OFF in heel down position, no extra switch required as would be the case in Amplitube or BIAS. My only problem with TH3 is that there is virtually NO community!

Hi,
Thank you very much for answer.
I have the same impressions on TH3, it's excellent in sound and MIDI, but there is no community and this really disappoints me (BIAS's Tone Cloud is very good)...
It's very difficult to make a choice (I need a rig for studio and live), but it's not possible to manage all these products, both for budget problems (for me) and also because I need to focus on 1 product to use it at its best.

At this point, the choice is between Amplitude 4 and TH3...
Maurizio

Postby garrettendi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 pm

It's worth noting that there is a free version of TH3 on the Time+Space store. Looks pretty good, will try this weekend. I'm liking that Modern Rectifier sim!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:17 pm

Scuffham amps all the way....

Not just for recording, I've gigged with it as well..

examples....

https://soundcloud.com/max-hodges

most of it.... certainly for the last 4 years.... i DO use real amps as well.... but if I use a plug in, and make it stick, it's ALWAYS scuffham (S-gear)

of note especially is the floyd-esque thing that was actually recorded Live at a venue in north Wales
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Maurizio » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi,
I reply after a long time...
At the end I bought TH3 at a very special price: 129 euro (they made a discount), at this price I think it has no competitors at all.
I'm really happy, I tried the demo and then decided to have it, the sounds are so good.

Bye,
Maurizio
Maurizio

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 pm

:thumbup: Thanks for letting us know. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...