You are here

Kurzweil SP6

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Kurzweil SP6

Postby Dee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:18 am

I'm very tempted to go for one of these.

Any kurzweil fans about? Do you expect sounds, outside of piano, to be quality? I've never had a Kurzweil before but this ticks a lot of boxes.

Stock levels seem low and just wondering if anyone had one or had a chance to try one? Biggest concern is how good the keybed is. Read somewhere it is medili action...... don't know if that's good or bad!!

Cheers for any info.
Dee
Regular

Re: Kurzweil SP6

Postby Dave B » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:23 am

I've not tried one, but I'm a long standing Kurzweil user and it looks tasty.

Sounds should be good. Kurz have changed tack recently and are now not shipping units with gazillions of patches. You can load more if you want them - the SP will take Forte SE and PC3 series patches. And there's a bucketload of those around. It's a little annoying that it seems to have lost about 10gb worth of sample data from the full Forte, but hey ho.

Not sure about the keyboard. If it's like the PC3x/K8 and the Forte, then it's quite comfortable for me. Just googled for the medili K6 and it might be a touch lighter action than I'm used to - think it's a case of give it a go really.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Dee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Cheers Dave.

Yeah, I would have one already if stock had been decent. Dv247/music store have a used one for £850ish but I'm wary of going with them due to customer care issues I'm having with them over another keyboard!!

I'll wait until most places have it in stock and give it a go. My moxf caters for the majority of sounds. If the SP6 has a superb piano, Epianos, strings and brass I'll be more than happy.

Thanks for the reply mate.
Dee
Regular

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Tried it Dave. Wasn’t too keen. Main issue was the key feel/bed. Not great IMO. I much preferred the Casio PX5S or PX560!! Nice stage piano for the money though overall, just wasn’t for me unfortunately.

Bought myself a Montage 8 now instead!!
Dee
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Oooh - I tried the Montage when it came out and quite liked that Yamaha were being a bit different about things. My only issue is that all models of it are huge!!

Also, have a look underneath - do you have a proper panel on yours or is it bare plywood? I was chatting to someone I was buying kit from, and he'd just got a Montage 8. I moaned about the Kronos basically having a sheet of plywood for a base and he laughed and told me to look under his new toy.

Hopefully they've sorted this (Korg updated later Kronos models). You'd think for all that money, they'd include a proper case - even when it can't be seen...

;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I just tried a Montage 7 today for the first time. I loved the sounds and the light keyboard feel, but I couldn't understand why I had suddenly become unable to play!

I was becoming convinced the store had drugged my coffee. No matter what I did I was hitting bum notes and overstretching octaves. Then I noticed...

...The keys are narrow.

Why, Yamaha, why? :headbang: :roll:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Yeah, it is massive!! I'm like yourself and prefer synth action so intend to pair it up with a Kronos LS88 soon(ish)..... I'm a laugh - I have been talking about having a lightweight rig for the band and have went and bought a Montage!!

I can see it staying put at home and eventually getting a Montage 7. That paired up with the Kronos LS88 would be very nice.

I currently use a Moxf6 and I absolutely adore it!! Lightweight, decent action (I'm that used to it) and all the sounds from the Motif xf. I use John Melas software to make performance editing straightforward and the library software to load up different setlists prior to a gig. Changing to the Montage will take a bit of getting used to and the weight of it is putting me off taking it out..... I had intended to go for the 7 but I got this for a brilliant price so couldn't resist.

Shame about the SP6. Just didn't take to the action at all. Loved it on the Casio's!!

I've had a quick demo of the montage 8 before and I know I'll love it as I'm a Yamaha fan...... still haven't settled on a stand.

Got the apex pro s (with mic holder and case) but the legs did indeed do my head in with pedals. I know you mentioned the lack of longevity with the spider pro but, apart from the price, it looks the part and I like the look of it.

You'd think in 2018 we'd have a better selection of durable, lightweight keyboard stands!!

Edit: yes the smaller yamaha keys!! Why indeed!! I wonder if this is also the case on the moxf? If so, I'm well used to it..... but still.
Dee
Regular

Postby Horse mk2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:44 am

Dee wrote:Tried it Dave. Wasn’t too keen. Main issue was the key feel/bed. Not great IMO. I much preferred the Casio PX5S or PX560!! Nice stage piano for the money though overall, just wasn’t for me unfortunately.

Bought myself a Montage 8 now instead!!

I'm relieved to read this thanks as it stops me wondering whether the sp6 should replace my px5s.
Horse mk2
Poster

Postby mick.n » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Horse mk2 wrote:
I'm relieved to read this thanks as it stops me wondering whether the sp6 should replace my px5s.

Ditto. I was considering the sp6 to replace my Casio px5s. The Casio Keybed is excellent to my ageing fingers.......even though the keys are slightly shorter than you would usually find on an 88.
mick.n
Frequent Poster