You are here

Sound Devices MixPre-10M

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sound Devices MixPre-10M

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 pm

This looks like a really interesting bit of kit! Ten-input, 12-track solid-state recorder with overdubbing and bouncing, plus metronome, reverb and 'air EQ', which doubles as a USB interface... and all for under $1500US!

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/sound-devices-mixpre-10m-first-look

Also, owners of the MicPre-6 or -10T can upgrade the firmware in their machines to have the same features for under $100US.

Looking forward to reviewing that very soon!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Sound Devices MixPre-10M

Postby Dan LB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Wow! That's unbelievable value!

It's amazing how companies like Zoom and Behringer* steer the market so that well established manufacturers have to compete in a lower price bracket. Great job Sound Devices!

:thumbup:

*certainly in the digital live console arena anyway
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:24 pm

If it functions as advertised that will be a very useful piece of kit.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Sound Devices have a phenomenal record of making gear that works exactly as advertised and from what I've seen and heard so far I don't think anyone will be disappointed. I was completely blown away by what it can do -- and even more so when they told me the MixPre-6 will be able to do exactly the same 12-track multitracking. Yes, it has fewer mic inputs and fewer knobs for mixing (so there'll be a bit more fader-paging to control things as you build the mix), but that makes a really affordable and powerful package!

We will be getting one of the very first full production units for a detailed review very soon...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby wireman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm

I received an email about this new model yesterday I think. I didn't notice previously that the MixPre-10T (and now the 10M) have balanced outputs, power via Hirose connector and (auto?) copy to USB.

Is it enough to take the Zoom F8 customers though, perhaps the analogue limiters will help.
wireman
Regular

Postby ronmac » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:49 pm

There is a remarkable difference in the sound quality between the Zoom F series and the Sound Devices MixPre series. It is not subtle...

I applaud Sound Devices for their imagination and willingness to explore new markets, by introducing less expensive (not cheaper) products to their line-up.
ronmac
Regular
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.

Postby wireman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 pm

ronmac wrote:I applaud Sound Devices for their imagination and willingness to explore new markets, by introducing less expensive (not cheaper) products to their line-up.

I upgraded from an M-Audio Mictotrack II to a Sound Devices 702 some time ago.

The cost of going to 4 or 8 channels in the 7 series is prohibitive for me.

The new MixPre-10M is really interesting and I'm intrigued to see what Hugh makes of it. Sound Devices branched out into video recording some years back and perhaps this points to another departure from a focus on location sound recording. I would not want them to compromise on the quality of the basic audio chain however.
wireman
Regular

Postby Paul Isaacs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:13 pm

wireman wrote:

The new MixPre-10M is really interesting and I'm intrigued to see what Hugh makes of it. Sound Devices branched out into video recording some years back and perhaps this points to another departure from a focus on location sound recording. I would not want them to compromise on the quality of the basic audio chain however.

We will never compromise on audio quality. That's our blood. And now music creators can benefit from that too.

Paul, SD
Paul Isaacs
New here
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:46 pm

This unit looks very interesting! I have been using an Allen & Heath QU-PAC for location recordings which has been surprisingly good. However, I am very interested to know how the audio quality of the MixPre-10M compares to the A&H QU-PAC!?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am

The Sound Devices mic preamps are exceptionally good. The converters and recording side of things are beyond reproach. But it doesn't have the EQ and other facilities of the QUPac.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks Hugh. I’m not really bothered about extra things on the QU-PAC such as EQ etc. The biggest priority is the audio quality.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby george_vel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 pm

It looks like MixPre-10M is really a brand new piece on the market.
I was not able to find it on Thomann and send them a message if and when they expect to have it. Still waiting for an answer.

But since Thomann is missing other SD gears, like MixPre-3 and MixPre-6, I am afraid they might not offer it at all.
Do you know for people in Europe, where this item is expected to be available for purchase online?
george_vel
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm

george_vel wrote:It looks like MixPre-10M is really a brand new piece on the market.

It was announced last Wednesday, and units should be shipping before the end of March -- as detailed clearly in the SOS news feature and on SD's own website.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby george_vel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
george_vel wrote:It looks like MixPre-10M is really a brand new piece on the market.

It was announced last Wednesday, and units should be shipping before the end of March -- as detailed clearly in the SOS news feature and on SD's own website.

H
Well, meanwhile I got feedback from Thomann - "... Due to bad margin, we will not offer Sound Devices in future." :-(
george_vel
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Worldwide Sound Devices resellers are listed here:

https://www.sounddevices.com/resellers/worldwide
Hugh Robjohns

Postby John Willett » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm

george_vel wrote:Well, meanwhile I got feedback from Thomann - "... Due to bad margin, we will not offer Sound Devices in future." :-(

This is actually good news for the consumer - it means that SD do not inflate the prices so the dealer makes a massive margin and then discounts it into the ground.

It means that SD have a sensible margin for dealers who then sell at a sensible price - and likely no more than if the price had been inflated and discounted.

There are quite a few professional equipment manufacturers who prefer to keep their equipment out of Thomann.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby george_vel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm

John Willett wrote:
george_vel wrote:Well, meanwhile I got feedback from Thomann - "... Due to bad margin, we will not offer Sound Devices in future." :-(

This is actually good news for the consumer - it means that SD do not inflate the prices so the dealer makes a massive margin and then discounts it into the ground.

It means that SD have a sensible margin for dealers who then sell at a sensible price - and likely no more than if the price had been inflated and discounted.

There are quite a few professional equipment manufacturers who prefer to keep their equipment out of Thomann.

I am not saying it is bad or good news - your explanation sounds convincing.

I am just planning to buy couple of things from Thomann soon (studio monitors and interface, isolation pads, cables and headphones) and wanted to combine the purchase with SD Premix, so I can save on shipping costs, as I am 1500 km from Germany. I am already their customer and so far I was pleased with their service, but now will look for another reseller.
george_vel
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 pm

IIRC Thomann do free carriage within the EU for orders over €200. So I guess you are outside the EU?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby george_vel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:IIRC Thomann do free carriage within the EU for orders over €200. So I guess you are outside the EU?
I am in EU, but from Bulgaria and to my country Thomann ships for free above 500 EUR.
Anyway, if they don’t offer SD anymore, I should buy it from someone else and should pay the shipping.

Most of the resellers on SD site are small local stores and usually do not ship worldwide. And the website of the only one in my country looks terrible. :-)

I guess I’ll use Amazon at the end.
george_vel
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Good luck with it, it looks like a great piece of kit......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next