You are here

Help Me PROcaster Low Gain Without Fethead or CL-1

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help Me PROcaster Low Gain Without Fethead or CL-1

Postby newerart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

Hello guys. my Rode Procaster needs alot of gain . and my focuserite SOLO cant handle it .

when I set my interface gain near 100% . my voice has alittle noise and there is kind of hazy or muzzy . and is not compeletly clear .

when I set that near 50 % . my voice is very good but I have to set my computer volume to 100 % to hear that .

I want to work with Adobe Audition and premier . and I dont like that my final product (video and clip) needs to set your device volume near 100 % .

some guys say I need to buy cloud fire cl1 or FetHead 150$-250$ . but unfortunately they are not available in my country . and is out of budget too.

Im beginner and I dont know if its possible to make my voice louder and better without cloud fire . and with softwares ?

Thanks
newerart
Poster

Re: Help Me PROcaster Low Gain Without Fethead or CL-1

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am

Simplest thing first, are you speaking into the end of the Procaster? It is an end address mic but most cheaper Podcast mics are side address so it would be an easy mistake to make.

Record at 24 bit resolution and normalise afterwards. Your hazy or muzzy comment suggests distortion, and that it gets better when you reduce the gain makes that almost certainly the case. Don't worry about needing the computer volume up high initially as you can increase the volume afterwards by normalising the VO track.

A link to a video would help as would a screenshot of the waveform.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby newerart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Simplest thing first, are you speaking into the end of the Procaster? It is an end address mic but most cheaper Podcast mics are side address so it would be an easy mistake to make.

Yes like this

But I dont have a pop filter . but I think that it doesnt have a huge effect . bcoz Procaster has an internal popfilter .
newerart
Poster

Postby newerart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 am

Sam Spoons wrote: Don't worry about needing the computer volume up high initially as you can increase the volume afterwards by normalising the VO track.

Doesnt it reduce the quality ?
newerart
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

Ok, are you nice and close like in the pics?

I think the problem is a gain structure thing. It's important to record clean audio, yo can then sort the level which goes on the audio track later using your editing software. I doubt very much that you'll need a Cloud Lifter or any such thing to get decent results.

I'm strictly an audio guy though so can't give specific advice about Audition or Premier as I haven't used either.

It does't reduce quality if you record at 24 bit and get a clean recording to work with. The potential issue is that you increase the noise but it is so far below system noise with 24 bit that is not a problem.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby newerart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Ok, are you nice and close like in the pics?

I think the problem is a gain structure thing. It's important to record clean audio, yo can then sort the level which goes on the audio track later using your editing software. I doubt very much that you'll need a Cloud Lifter or any such thing to get decent results.

I'm strictly an audio guy though so can't give specific advice about Audition or Premier as I haven't used either.

It does't reduce quality if you record at 24 bit and get a clean recording to work with. The potential issue is that you increase the noise but it is so far below system noise with 24 bit that is not a problem.

Thanks Sam

which program do you suggest to use for me to record voice ? audition and premier are good enough ?
newerart
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 pm

I use Audition all the time for recording voice-overs. Works great. Record with plenty of headroom to ensure a clean recording then compress or limit afterwards to control peaks and remove unwanted headroom in the final track.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby newerart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I use Audition all the time for recording voice-overs. Works great. Record with plenty of headroom to ensure a clean recording then compress or limit afterwards to control peaks and remove unwanted headroom in the final track.

H

Thanks .
newerart
Poster