You are here

Facebook Audio Quality Tips?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Facebook Audio Quality Tips?

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Anyone here know much about how to get the best out of Facebook's audio encoding?

Or even know a bit about it all?

I've just uploaded some videos that our cover band have made of us playing in a nice rehearsal space - usual stuff, nothing earth shattering, just for fun. I've been handling the audio and another chap has done the hard work with the video stuff. As he has slow broadband, I uploaded the videos to FB here. They were exported in 1080 as m4p files (h.264/AAC).

I was warned to look for 'HD options' but couldn't see any - FB seemed to upload them at full quality whilst uploading and tagging them. All fine. But then once you are happy, it seems to transcode them for lower bandwidth use and the audio is diabolical - grainy and harsh and seems to be a 128k mp3 (or worse). The HD thing seems to be an option on playout. If you chose the HD playback, the audio goes back to the proper audio and it's fine.

So, I'm wondering what other people do here.

Do you just put up with bad audio and rely on users to click HD?

(if so, do you stick a note to tell people to do so in the description?)

Or is there some better way to optimise the audio so that the transcoding doesn't shred it?

Or do you simply post links to YouTube? (which seems to be a lot better)

:?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Facebook Audio Quality Tips?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:16 pm

Is it an automatic thing Dave? I.e. does it check the strength of your connection at the time and throttle back accordingly?
blinddrew
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm

I think it's a case of "assume the worst and give them the low res content unless they ask for HD (where available) in their settings" type thing.

I've spent a fair amount of today mining google and it seems that all I come across is complaints about the audio coding. I found a pretty mad youtube vid where some guy reckons that you can trick it with some strange '5.1 but mute everything but the centre' approach but that seems like a kludge and I'd rather know if anyone has actual experience.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 pm

This link may be helpful to you Dave:

How To Force YouTube Embed Video To Play HD 1080p or HD 720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDW7q2d5jc

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks Martin - that's good to know.

Still curious to hear about other people's experience of facebook's audio... :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Can you embed a YouTube video in FB as they have the ability to default to 1080P or possibly higher?
It seems such a basic feature to set a default quality setting that if FB don't offer then I'd like at using other embedded options.

The majority don't seem to care much about audio quality unless you are talking about home cinema when people spend a lot on surround sound and fuss over lossless audio formats on Blu-ray discs.
The irony of being more concerned about the audio for films than music. :cry:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 am

So we have posted YT links and that's been great. A nice flurry of activity just before an upcoming gig is always a good thing.

But ... the thing is that using ordinary facebook posts is that they slowly move down the timeline and run the risk of getting lost. Whereas, any 'native' facebook videos appear in the band page 'videos' section and are easy to reach. Which is a great idea, except for the fact that the quality of those videos is (by default) fairly dire.

So it is looking like the key here is to create a youTube channel and make sure your facebook page description includes a prominent link to that.

I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed really. I'm not an early adopter - in fact I'm usually late to the party on this kind of thing - so I was hoping that the features were quite mature. I guess it will sort itself out in time. Hey ho.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

Don't worry, by the end of the decade the actions of the UK and German governments are going to fine them all out of existence for not having good enough "bad stuff" filters, so we'll all be back to creeping out in the rain at midnight to stick posters on phone boxes. Which will be fun.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...