You are here

Slate Digital VMS

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Slate Digital VMS

Postby Leehugo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi,
I use an Apollo UAD interface. My VMS has always been working well until a few days ago when I restored my Mac from Time Machine Backup. After that, the VMS stopped working. could anybody kindly advise me on what I should do? Thanks
Leehugo
New here

Re: Slate Digital VMS

Postby The Korff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 am

Welcome to the forum!

Do you mean that the VMS plug-ins no longer work, or are no longer authorised on your machine? Can you still get an un-modelled sound out of the mic and preamp?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Leehugo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 am

Thanks for your reply. I can still use the VMS plugin in Logic Pro. Sorry, what do you mean by un-modelled sound? Also, how can I check if my preamp is working? I have a feeling it's the VMS preamp that isn't working. There's still sound coming out of the MIDI. Thanks.
Leehugo
New here

Postby The Korff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 am

Well, first off, your VMS preamp won't have been affected by a Time Machine backup, so we can rule that out!

Whenever things go belly up, it's always best to keep things as simple as possible so that you can more easily rule out what's gone wrong.

Try the following, and let me know what happens:

1. Plug the mains plug of your VMS preamp's power supply into a wall socket, and the multi-pin connector into the preamp's DC Input socket. Turn the preamp on. Does the power LED light up? If so, continue to step 2...

2. Using an XLR cable, plug your Slate VMS microphone into the VMS preamp's input. Make sure the Input switch is set to 'Mic', and the +48V (phantom power) switch is set to 'On'.

3. Using an XLR or jack cable, connect the VMS preamp's line out to one of the line inputs on your UAD Apollo (incidentally, which model Apollo have you got? That would be useful to know...)

4. Open Logic, and create a new track. Set that track's input to correspond with whichever input you plugged the VMS preamp into.

5. Click the little 'i' button on said Logic track (that enables input monitoring, which means you should be able to hear whatever's coming through the mic, and also you'll see the meters bouncing accordingly).

If all of that worked... great! Nothing is broken and you can carry on as you were.

If any of that DIDN'T work, reply here and tell me which step failed, and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Leehugo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 am

Chris,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oDegu ... VxXap27oSA

Thanks for your help! I have completed all the steps. They were all fine except for the last one. There was still no sound in the final step. Do you think it's a problem with my software? Thanks.

Have a nice day.
Leehugo
New here

Postby The Korff » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Your thoroughness is commendable! And useful, as I can straight away see that while you've got your VMS preamp connected to the Apollo's input 1, your channel in Logic is set to input 2.

In Logic, click on where it says input 2 and choose input 1 from the drop-down menu.

Hope that works!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Leehugo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 am

Thanks for your help Chris. I understand what you mean. I tried setting the channel in Logic to both input 1 and 2 (with the VMS preamp connected to Apollo's input 1) but neither works.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KjrN0 ... OWODN9Rxb4

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hSeR9 ... D6l6bLe-57
Leehugo
New here

Postby Leehugo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:05 am

Chris,

I have found the problem. I re-installed the ilok and it is working now.

Thanks for your help.

Have a nice day.
Leehugo
New here

Postby The Korff » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 am

A happy ending! Good stuff, glad it all worked out.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)