You are here

Audio/MIDI USB interfaces for the iPad/iPhone etc

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Audio/MIDI USB interfaces for the iPad/iPhone etc

Postby Rubber5oul » Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 am

Hi. I have an Akai LPK25 that I am trying to run through an iPad Air 1 using a standard, generic CCK. It starts working but after a few minutes (it varies) I get an error message stating that the device is not supported. Do you think that this is a power issue? If so, would a powered USB hub or the USB3 CCK discussed above solve this?

Thanks for your help. I’m going away for a few days and would love to be able to solve this on the cheap.
Rubber5oul
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon May 14, 2018 1:19 pm

I've seen this a few times and it seems related to the cables. When I've gone cheap on cables I've had this message and the only solution was to buy some good branded cables at which point that error message went away.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Rubber5oul!

It might just be relevant to have a read of this:

www.pocketables.com/2013/02/how-to-get- ... apter.html

Hope it relates to your problem!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Rubber5oul » Mon May 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Could be the cable, it was dirt cheap lol. Interesting read about adding a non powered hub into the chain. I'll try that when I get home and report back. Thanks.
Rubber5oul
Regular

Postby Rubber5oul » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

OK so I tried putting the unpowered hub in the chain. Sadly the problem persists. Looks like it might be the CCK but I'm not keen spending £39 on the off-chance. I shall ask amongst friends and see if anyone has an Apple one I could test it with.

Will report back again...
Rubber5oul
Regular

Postby Neo-Classical Guitar Man » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:28 pm

BillB wrote:Time to add to this...

Alesis Photon X25 (DC powered) > CCK > iPad Air

Is there any chance you could share the original Alesis drivers and the latest fixed ones if possible, so i can install them on my old Win XP laptop? I have seen this keyboard for sale at a local studio clearance, and it looks ideal for what I need and is in mint condition. There seems to be no trace of them on the Alesis website.

Neo-Classical Guitar Man
Regular
Footloose and fancy free...gizz a job!

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 pm

The X25 is "class-compliant" which is why it works with the iPad. It doesn't need any drivers for Windows 7/10, not sure about XP but the chances are that you can plug it in and it will work.
Actually, I just rummaged through my files and found soemthing called:
AlesisPhotonX25-usbfix_v1_04.zip - which mentions WinXP in the readme file.
Don't remember using this, so you would be on your own. I will PM you with a link.

Bill
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Also, just Googled for Alesis Photon X25 usbfix v1_04 and a few downlaod options came up.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Can anyone give me an idiot's guide to recording digital audio from an iPad into Protools? I have a number of synths, like Animoog and want to play them in real times as I am recording on Protools.

I have tried to follow various guides (one is from Sweetwater iOS update and discusses Inter App Audio and currently have set up and Aggregate I/O. I have connected the iPad via lightning connector and have enabled it in Audio-Midi setup/audio devices. The ipad comes up as having an input but the output is greyed out. Next to iPad it says 2 ins/0 outs.

I have opened Pro Tools and selected the playback engine as aggregate . I have then gone to I/O and under inputs, it says built in microphone. With output, it says Built in output. I was expecting the input to have a built in input but it doesn't - only built in microphone.

I have tried deleting the I/Os and selecting default but there is no sign of the iPad. Help!!

Postby Escapegoat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am

Just adding the Focusrite iTrack Dock, which works fine via the Lightning connector.

Well, "fine" ... but with caveats. I use an iPad Air, but I think some thinner iPads need an extra shim so that the port/connector is correctly aligned. Another niggle: even some class-compliant USB MIDI controllers don't work (when they should, including some Korgs), and there are no 5-pin MIDI ports to use as an alternative. I'm currently using a Keystep.

And another, more annoying one (a facepalm-level design flaw): an electric guitar plugged into the Hi-Z input has excessive noise when recording. Because there's no grounding via the iTrack! So you get all of the 50Hz EMF hum that your guitar pickups can suck out of the air.

Workaround: to get the lowest noise floor, you can ground the unit another way. At home I did this by plugging the unused input into a nearby Integra 7's headphone socket (Integra is a proper device, with a permanently grounded chassis and jacks even when switched off). The noise floor was then normal. Same should be true if you plugged the iTracks outputs into some grounded active monitors.

Overall - working for now, but not ideal.
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Escapegoat!

Well done in finding an alternative earthing point that solved your noise problem :clap:

If only all grounding issues were so simply and elegantly solved!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Piloadami » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm running quantiloop pro on my ipad 3rd generation (30pin connector). I want to connect my usb alesis io2 souncard to the ipad so that I can use the inputs on the soudcard to play and record loops on guitar/vox. I went and bough a camera connection kit (30pin to usb adapter) and a usb 3.0 power hub. When connecting the hub into the ipad I get a message 'USB hub 2.0: the connected device requires too much power'. This is happening before I connect the soundcard into the usb hub which leads me to think the usb hub is not working might not be compatible with the camera connection kit?

The other issue that comes to mind is newer versions of the ipad run usb-c to apple lighting/usb 3 connector which means the ipad gets power from connection the charger into the usb 3 socket. Could this be the issue as my ipad is not getting power from anywhere?

Many thanks
Piloadami
New here

Postby BillB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Piloadami

'USB hub 2.0: the connected device requires too much power'. This is happening before I connect the soundcard into the usb hub which leads me to think the usb hub is not working might not be compatible with the camera connection kit?

It sounds like the hub is not receiving power independently (presumably you have an AC-DC adaptor for it) and is therefore trying to draw power from the iPad. Can you check this? For example, does the hub power/charge other devices (keyboard, phone etc?). iPads are fussy (by design) as to which peripherals they will work with. Cheap (non-apple) options can fail, but then again, there are usually no apple-produced options for older devices like your 30-pin iPad.

Also, I recall that the Alesis "iO2 express" will not work with the iPad, irrespective of power arrangements. I hope you have the older iO2, which is at least theoretically compatible if you can get the power issue resolved.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Escapegoat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Piloadami wrote:Hi all,

I'm running quantiloop pro on my ipad 3rd generation (30pin connector). I want to connect my usb alesis io2 souncard to the ipad so that I can use the inputs on the soudcard to play and record loops on guitar/vox. I went and bough a camera connection kit (30pin to usb adapter) and a usb 3.0 power hub. When connecting the hub into the ipad I get a message 'USB hub 2.0: the connected device requires too much power'. This is happening before I connect the soundcard into the usb hub which leads me to think the usb hub is not working might not be compatible with the camera connection kit?

One thing: Apple lies about USB power consumption. On some models on later versions of iOS, a USB device which won't work (popping up the message you saw). But it WILL work when connected via an UNPOWERED hub! Sounds completely batty but it's true. See here for one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I-nnocYtU

Of course, this might not be the only problem you have if the Alesis is not iOS compatible.

(Like you I have a 3rd gen iPad and Apple's CCK and after an iOS update the USB thumb drive I had suddenly "consumes too much power". Complete Apple BS. I got a £2 unpowered USB hub as shown in that video and the thumb drive now works fine. I'm pretty sure that Apple's arrogance makes third party suppliers think twice about making devices for iOS.)
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby smntk » Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 pm

BillB wrote:The X25 is "class-compliant" which is why it works with the iPad. It doesn't need any drivers for Windows 7/10, not sure about XP but the chances are that you can plug it in and it will work.
Actually, I just rummaged through my files and found soemthing called:
AlesisPhotonX25-usbfix_v1_04.zip - which mentions WinXP in the readme file.
Don't remember using this, so you would be on your own. I will PM you with a link.

Bill

Hi, Bill.
I'm looking forward for the PhotonX25USBfix_v1_04.zip file. Do you have it? If so, will you send a valid link for downloading it? I'm driving crazy looking for it in internet!
Thanks a lot.
smntk

Postby BillB » Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi smntk , welcome to the SOS Forum. I’ll PM a link tomorrow when I am in front of my PC.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue May 07, 2019 7:23 am

Escapegoat, I have had that warning about a memory stick, "Insufficient power for device" on a desktop PC even though the same port would happily run a bus powered AI!

I don't think it is just (or at all?) a power issue, maybe more a "handshake" problem?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby smntk » Tue May 07, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks a lot, BillB! I go running to test it! :thumbup: :clap:
smntk

Postby smntk » Tue May 07, 2019 1:00 pm

Working on Windows 10 !!!!!
Thanks a lot, BillB!!!!
But it was a headache to install windows XP with a virtual machine, and to have the files in the XP system. It couldn't read an USB device, it couldn't share files with host machine (running virtual machine under windows vista), it could't connect to internet neither via WiFi nor via ethernet cable. Finally, I decide to try with a really really legacy device: a CD :lol:
Surprisingly,I found a blank CD in a drawer, I burned it and... it worked!!!!!!!!!
Now, my alesis Photon X25 works perfectly in Ableton 10 Live! Even the axyz 3D controller dome!!!!!!!! :clap:
Thanks again, BillB for bringing to life my old Photon X25!!!! :thumbup:
smntk

Postby BillB » Tue May 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Excellent new, smntk - glad you got there in the end! The X25 is quite a neat little keyboard.
:thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext