You are here

Home Studio Corner Setup - Advice Appreciated!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Home Studio Corner Setup - Advice Appreciated!

Postby FG100 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am

Hi there, folks!

First time posting and hoping some of you can help me out with advice on a less-than-ideal scenario...

I'm in the process of acquiring all the necessary hardware/software to get a small home studio setup going in my rectangular-shaped living room. The problem is the only space I have available is in the corner (an area approximately 5ft x 5ft). I'm aware monitor placement in the corner of a room is the worst possible spot, but I regrettably I don't have any other choice.

That said, I was considering building a bass absorption unit(s) to stack from floor to ceiling in the aforementioned corner, effectively giving me a 3ft/4ft flat 'wall' my workstation could face. I'd then build some additional acoustic absorption panels to continue on from the bass unit along the respective walls of the corner, along with placing some on the ceiling immediately above where I'll be sitting.

It's probably worth mentioning noise travels exceptionally well in my apartment block, so I'll never have music playing loud through my monitors and will use headphones most of the time, it would just be convenient to check my mixes through speakers every so often. I've yet to purchase a pair of monitors, but I intend to go for something with front facing bass ports in the hope that will help matters (I'm currently eyeing up a pair of Yamaha MSP5's).

Given the limitations of the space, do you think these measures will go some way to providing a reasonable solution to my problem? I'm very much trying to make the best of a bad situation and although it's not ideal, I'm hoping what I'm suggesting will prove to be beneficial. Any help/advice is massively appreciated, thanks!
FG100

Re: Home Studio Corner Setup - Advice Appreciated!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am

FG100 wrote:The problem is the only space I have available is in the corner (an area approximately 5ft x 5ft). I'm aware monitor placement in the corner of a room is the worst possible spot, but I regrettably I don't have any other choice.

Very few of us have the luxury of a 'perfect space', and we all have to take the most pragmatic approach we can.

I was considering building a bass absorption unit(s) to stack from floor to ceiling in the aforementioned corner, effectively giving me a 3ft/4ft flat 'wall' my workstation could face.

Effective bass-trapping is always a good idea....

I'd then build some additional acoustic absorption panels to continue on from the bass unit along the respective walls of the corner, along with placing some on the ceiling immediately above where I'll be sitting.

Sounds like a good plan. The most important areas to deal with, in terms of acoustic absorbers, are the 'first reflection' or 'mirror points' -- areas of the room boundaries where sound from the speakers will be bounced straight back into the listening position.

In a rectangular room, these are the ceiling and the side walls part way between the speakers and listening position (the points where you could place a mirror and see the speakers from the listening position).

However, if you are working out of a corner, the reflections all get a bit more complicated (the ceiling will be the same, though), so you may well have to experiment a bit to find out where the most effective places are for the broadband absorbers.

Given the limitations of the space, do you think these measures will go some way to providing a reasonable solution to my problem?

Yes, sounds like you're on the right track.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Home Studio Corner Setup - Advice Appreciated!

Postby FG100 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks a bunch, Hugh! Really appreciate your input.
FG100