You are here

What to do?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: What to do?

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 am

BigRedX wrote:Can someone please explain to me the attraction of the Telecaster Guitar. I just don't get it.
Then you never will, even if others explain it to you. But that doesn't make you a bad person. Just ...different. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am

I don't know about that Wonks. For a long time I was in the 'smellycaster' ranks* despite working with a guitarist who could make his really sing, but I have definitely mellowed towards them over the years and next year's project will be to take my Bastard Project** guitar and work it into something nice(ish).

* I have never previously heard this term but I can't believe I'm the first to coin it.
** A kit tele I bought a couple of years ago and built an amp into but never tried to properly finish or finesse as it was mostly a proof of concept.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:08 am

My love of Telecasters is actually greater than my experience of playing them. I'm always wanting to have different pickups or another pickup or a flatter neck. But then I think about it and don't want to really change it at all. Fitting a Strat pickup in the neck position is about as far as I've gone.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 am

Anyway, Music Wolf, I'm sure your 'friend' and the Baja Telecaster will be very happy together. A very happy new guitar day to you! Er... sorry. A very happy new guitar day to your 'friend'
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:20 am

Tele's the only geetar i got and if that ain't good enough for ya, this should be

https://youtu.be/PojMzsIvVE8?t=1m11s

I'm also in the market for a 70's Tele deluxe, once 'eard... and am also chasing after a Gibson Nighthawk, ditto, once 'eard...

Tele's are dead sexy, can't keep me 'ands off mine, ask me missus...

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:01 pm

BigRedX wrote:Can someone please explain to me the attraction of the Telecaster Guitar. I just don't get it.

Strats are boring. Les Paul’s are poncey. SGs are ugly.

Teles are just basic, wood, strings, fingers. They are honest, and a worn Tele to me feels like it has stories to tell. I just like them.

Plus, Crossroads...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 pm

desmond wrote:Plus, Crossroads...

Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Yep, Benny was a Tele fan...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm

More than that, he was on it!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:39 pm

LdashD wrote:Tele's are dead sexy, can't keep me 'ands off mine, ask me missus...

To me it would be difficult to think of a guitar less sexy than a Telecaster.

desmond wrote:
Teles are just basic, wood, strings, fingers. They are honest, and a worn Tele to me feels like it has stories to tell.

And that I think is the problem I have with Telecasters. I comes with all that "honest", "workmanlike", "authentic" baggage. And I just don't want that from either my music or my musical instruments. I want fantastical and flamboyant. That's partly why I ditched guitars and basses for most of 80s and played synths because that was where all the glamour was.

These days I'm back with stringed instruments - Gus G3 bass and G1 Guitar, Warwick StarBass, Sei Flamboyant, Fretking Esprit, Hallmark Wingbat. They are my kinds of instruments.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Well l didn't get the Tele today - I mean my friend didn't :headbang:

After careful consideration he decided that he could live with his conscience but he couldn't live with the doubt if he went for the butterscotch 50's model, with maple board and soft V profiled neck, because it was available today rather than the faded sonic blue 60's model with the C profile which will need to come from further afield.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:08 pm

As long as all your friend's guitars are the same colour, his wife will never figure out that they are in fact different guitars.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 pm

BigRedX wrote:And that I think is the problem I have with Telecasters. I comes with all that "honest", "workmanlike", "authentic" baggage. And I just don't want that from either my music or my musical instruments. I want fantastical and flamboyant.

Yes, it really depends on what aesthetic appeals to the individual.

We can try to rationalise it all we like, but it generally just comes down to "Well I just *like* them"... :blush:

I'm definitely not the flamboyant type... :shock: :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Music Wolf wrote:...he couldn't live with the doubt if he went for the butterscotch 50's model, with maple board and soft V profiled neck, because it was available today rather than the faded sonic blue 60's model with the C profile which will need to come from further afield.

I have now lost all faith in guitar-buying humanity. Or rather non-guitar buying humanity. Where did it all go wrong? :?: :o :(
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 pm

What a massive Tele tease. :(
Was looking forward to photos of you and the tortoise playfully jamming together to 'I set my face to the hillside' and other Tortoise classics.
My weekend has only been saved by the local Jazz Festival where I danced with wild abandon whilst everyone else looked like a tortoise on Mogadon.
Amazing that nobody else was dancing at an outdoor gig in the sun whilst the band played a groovin' version of Chain of Fools.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext