You are here

Podcasting Help

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Podcasting Help

Postby JosephHenson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:37 pm

First of all, apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, or if this sort of question is not exactly what is covered on this site. But, this seems like a knowledgeable place, and I need help.

Okay, so I have been podcasting since 2011 and am a filmmaker who generally knows a bit about sound, but I am starting a new podcast where I am the individual in charge of recording (my first one was recorded by someone else). Anyway, here's my issues:

The first one is, I am on a Gateway laptop with Windows 8.1 with a Realtek internal sound card, and I have an aux input only. The podcast I am doing, I will be speaking with two friends over Skype. Now, for this podcast, I need to have my mic AND stereo mix working, because we are playing clips. I have BOTH working if I call one person, but the second I add another individual to the call, the stereo mix portion stops working. No matter WHAT. I have tested this a billion times with just one person. It sounds great, it's recording, and the peaks are just right. Add the second caller, and poof.

I have searched high and low across the internet and NOTHING has helped. I know that my system is out of date and has minimal hardware specifications, so I can't really afford to do anything extravagant to change that right now. But, I am open to suggestions.

Can anyone help or even point me to some tips?

Thank you.
JosephHenson

Re: Podcasting Help

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Can you tell us more about the software you're using for recording and mixing, and where the stereo clips are coming from and how skype gets into the record mix?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby JosephHenson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:03 pm

I can do my best...

I am using Adobe Audition to record. The clips are just mp3 files I have in a playlist. Skype is set in the stereo mix.
JosephHenson

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Okay, so how are you routing the Skype outputs into audition?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Generally speaking, when people do this, they don't really record from skype (or if they do, it's a low quality backup recording). Both ends of the podcast record their audio locally, then the guest sends you their file after recording.

You then put your recording, and their recording, together using your editing system of choice, and do whatever else you need to do (edit, level balance, compress, EQ, add intro/outro themes etc.

If you want a more sophisticated audio system at your end (such as a live soundboard to play audio clips from), then there are programs that will route audio to you can record to multiple files (or you can use a DAW etc). I'm Mac based, so I can't give you dedicated Windows software, but a bit of googling should turn up lots of recommendations for tool to use to do what you need to do.
desmond
Jedi Poster