You are here

New favourite pick

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: New favourite pick

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:Can there be 'the one' when it comes to picks?

...well now, Random Guitarist. Maybe.

A year on, just now, I thought to myself, I need to play the guitar for a minute. And I was impatiently shuffling the desk detritus aside looking for an Ultex Jazz III because the others, I just wasn't interested.

That's fidelity. So I think I've Found my Path, you know. I'm On my Journey. (And I still sound rubbish, but I love trying.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:17 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Random Guitarist wrote:Can there be 'the one' when it comes to picks?

...well now, Random Guitarist. Maybe.

A year on, just now, I thought to myself, I need to play the guitar for a minute. And I was impatiently shuffling the desk detritus aside looking for an Ultex Jazz III because the others, I just wasn't interested.

That's fidelity. So I think I've Found my Path, you know. I'm On my Journey. (And I still sound rubbish, but I love trying.)

Yes.....

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby adrian_k » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:06 am

Since we’re on the subject again and back to the nails discussion earlier, I started taking ‘hair and nails’ supplements and it’s sorted out my nails good and proper.

Still bald though.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:27 am

At the risk of being thrown out of the room... I have on occasion (when desperate) been known to cut one out of an old credit card.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Occasions when you haven't even go a sixpence in your pocket?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Random Guitarist » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Interesting results, I've found the opposite for me. There is no one pick, it depends what I am trying to play. I've tried a few pick/guitar combos in the last year and have some definite favourites.

For the archtop it's a monstrously thick buffalo horn pick, this drives the strings/soundboard like nothing else. For electrics it's generally a lignum vitae pick, nice and light and stiff. For acoustic single note stuff, I'm really liking a 0.3mm stainless pick. For acoustic strunning, I'm still searching . . .

This thread has been really good for me. I't prompted getting out of a rut and just buying one kind of pick, especially as the new choices feel/sound much better to me. Having said that, it may be that nobody but me hears the difference. ;)

Regards,

Grant.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Folderol » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:This thread has been really good for me. I't prompted getting out of a rut and just buying one kind of pick, especially as the new choices feel/sound much better to me. Having said that, it may be that nobody but me hears the difference. ;)

Regards,

Grant.

It doesn't really matter if anyone else hears the difference. The fact that you do means it will affect your playing comfort, and that's reason enough.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Wonks » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm now trying out a red pick. Hope that helps.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853