You are here

Hearing Loss - Monitoring Question ???

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Hearing Loss - Monitoring Question ???

Postby awgi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 am

billr wrote:A friend of mine had the same problem which he got round by purchasing one hearing aid for the bad ear to bring it up to line with the good one as much as possible. He says that this made a huge difference to his mixing ability. The problem was finding a suitable hearing aid as most are designed to maximise speech intelligibility rather than give an even balance for music. Most of them split the audible frequencies into bands, process the bands individually and then attempt to recombine them which he says sounds unnatural. He found one brand called Bernafon Zerena which works differently with good results for music. It has music programs which turn off unnecessary processing and he says sound pretty natural. It can do omnidirectional to pick up sounds all round and cardioid to pick up mostly from the front. Apparently digital hearing aids are getting better quite quickly as bit rate and sample rate keep going up for a given size of processing chip, but battery life can get less for the higher rates. It was not a cheap solution however, and finding an audiologist who understood the problem was difficult, but it worked for him.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I work for Bernafon, the hearing aid manufacturer you mentioned in your post. I am searching for Bernafon users who have an interesting life to feature in a video series we're working on. It would be interesting to feature your friend's DJ/mixer passion in one of our stories. Would he be interested? The shooting would take place over 1 day and is paid £500. Please contact me at awgi@bernafon.com for more information. Thank you
awgi

Re: Hearing Loss - Monitoring Question ???

Postby Jorge » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi Matthew, I am just following up. It would be worth getting a repeat audiogram. I don't know the conditions under which your first audiogram was done, but even slight noise in the audiology booth could produce an inaccurate result. If the repeat audiogram looks similar and this is not a technical problem with the audiogram, you really need a clinical evaluation by an ear, nose and throat physician to make sure you don't have a mechanical problem in the middle/inner ear, an acoustic neuroma, a cholesteatoma or some other type of treatable tumor or illness.
Jorge
Regular