You are here

RIP: Notes From The Deadline

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: RIP: Notes From The Deadline

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 am

I've been thinking a little more about this.

I like to sit at the bar in the Lounge of my local and read SOS on my iPad on the quieter midweek evenings whilst I enjoy a pint of cider or 3.

As much as I love the magazine and learn so much from it, the only times I can share a piece with a friend to read and enjoy the joke is Notes From The Deadline.

It's a fine critique of the gig economy.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks for your many years of insightful contributions, Paul, and sorry you feel you cannot continue.

To avoid confusion, Paul's final NFTD column will appear in the August 2018 issue, which goes live around 10:30am BST on Thursday 19 July 2018 and will be available here:
https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/notes-deadline-0818
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,325 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm

zenguitar wrote:
I like to sit at the bar in the Lounge of my local and read SOS on my iPad on the quieter midweek evenings whilst I enjoy a pint of cider or 3

Andy :beamup:

I sit bleary-eyed over the morning coffee. As the caffeine kicks in the magazine sets the tone for the day. Your method seems much more civilized!
How can we bribe Paul to do guest columns now and then?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Many thanks, I've always really enjoyed the column. All the best. :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Paul Farrer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 am

Gosh, you guys are so kind.
Thanks for all your generous words and I’m touched that some of my monthly ramblings have struck a chord with you or at least brought a mirthless chuckle from time to time.
I’m also sorry that I didn’t do a proper ‘final column’ rather the last one you’ll read is just the last one I sent over that was deemed publishable.
So the page will appear to just ‘stop’ like I’ve fallen off a cliff or something. Which I assure you - I haven’t.
Anyway like I said I wish SOS all the best and I’m mulling the idea of making Notes From The Deadline a podcast or YouTube channel or something involving some really cool media composer types what I know. So keep your eyes on my Twitter feed @paulmfarrer if you are interested in seeing just how thinly I can stretch this rather shaky premise until it falls apart in a heap.
And if anyone asks what you think about Paul White getting a OBE tell them ‘It’s about bloody time!’
Cheers
Paul
Paul Farrer
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:19 pm

That's a shame, my favourite part of the mag and the first bit I read. I will miss it.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby wdsteele » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Very sorry to hear that ; always my first read .

Still have a chuckle at the Jedward hotel room episode : sounds worse than it actually was !
wdsteele
Regular

Postby dbfs » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:19 am

I hope whatever fool let you walk out the door has a clever idea on how to replace you.

Your column was the only part of the magazine that seemed realistic to me. To be honest the mag has lost its appeal to me over the years, and this does not help.

Good luck and do let us know if you get the podcast or something similar up and running.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 am

dbfs wrote:I hope whatever fool let you walk out the door has a clever idea on how to replace you.

The only 'fool' -- if there is one -- was Paul himself: it was entirely his own decision to stop writing the column and it came as a complete surprise to the SOS team.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am

dbfs wrote:I hope whatever fool let you walk out the door has a clever idea on how to replace you.

Your column was the only part of the magazine that seemed realistic to me. To be honest the mag has lost its appeal to me over the years, and this does not help.

Good luck and do let us know if you get the podcast or something similar up and running.

Harsh but pretty much what a lot of us are thinking perhaps?

One thing is for sure, this will NOT "rest in peace". Like the loss of "Notes" I and I suspect many others, will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity in the hope that "the powers that be" will take greater heed of us mushrooms in the future.

#Yellow Taxi#

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am

ef37a wrote:...I and I suspect many others, will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity in the hope that "the powers that be" will take greater heed of us mushrooms in the future.

Dave, I love your participation in these forums, and I respect your knowledge enormously, but sometimes you say the most nonsensical things!

You write as if SOS cancelled the column, but they didn't! You can play with your pointy stick if you like but what, exactly, are 'the powers that be' supposed to do if a columnist decides he doesn't want to write a column anymore?

I'm sure a suitable alternative will be found in time...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:...I and I suspect many others, will poke this with a pointy stick at every opportunity in the hope that "the powers that be" will take greater heed of us mushrooms in the future.

Dave, I love your participation in these forums, and I respect your knowledge enormously, but sometimes you say the most nonsensical things!

You write as if SOS cancelled the column, but they didn't! You can play with your pointy stick if you like but what, exactly, are 'the powers that be' supposed to do if a columnist decides he doesn't want to write a column anymore?

I'm sure a suitable alternative will be found in time...

H

Yes, well, "nonsensical things" sometimes have to be said, we shall see what shakes out of the tree in due course I dare say. Why am I called "nonsensical" and not the guy I sort of agreed with?

"We" never get the full SP and thus all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:47 am

ef37a wrote:"We" never get the full SP and thus all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

Dave.

Hugh's already explained, it was not the decision of TPTB; it was the author's.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,325 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:37 pm

ef37a wrote:Why am I called "nonsensical" and not the guy I sort of agreed with?

A lot of people have expressed their disappointment in PF no longer writing his column, which is to be expected and I share their dismay.

What isn't fine is you trying to jump-start an SOS-bashing bandwaggon with your low-level aggressive posts when you know fully well that this is a situation not of SOS' making.

...all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

There you go again... how can TPTB 'pause' over something completely beyond their control, as has been explained many, many times. So from where I'm sitting, all I see is you seeming to delight in effectively bullying SOS through this forum with absolutely no basis in sense or fact ... and I don't appreciate that at all.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
ef37a wrote:"We" never get the full SP and thus all we can really do is signal our displeasure at certain events and hope such comments cause "TPTB" to pause in the future.

Dave.

Hugh's already explained, it was not the decision of TPTB; it was the author's.

Very well. I shall accept that. I do however feel a bit "picked on" since others have been, shall we say, "less polite" than myself?

My apologies to all concerned if I have given offence.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext