You are here

What would it cost to get an album produced professionally?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: What would it cost to get an album produced professionally?

Postby Mr Showbiz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 am

I'll qualify my opinion by first saying I know nothing about this type of music, but;

Don't buyers of this kind of music want 'authenticity'? Don't they want to see the band play live?

Won't finding out that it's been played by session players, rather than by a real band who 'believe' in what their doing render it musically valueless?

So there's no point in even considering it, is there?
Mr Showbiz
Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Mr Showbiz wrote:I'll qualify my opinion by first saying I know nothing about this type of music, but;
Don't buyers of this kind of music want 'authenticity'? Don't they want to see the band play live?
Won't finding out that it's been played by session players, rather than by a real band who 'believe' in what their doing render it musically valueless?
The above applies to ALL types of music - you should see the number of edits and drop-ins required in classical music! Those classical guys are bonkers! Everything has to be perfect and almost nothing is real! The singers are Autotuned, the soloists are recorded separately and that brilliant and perfect piano recital is cut together bar-by-bar.

As for live playing . . . many of the larger acts that put just three or four band members on stage, have session musicians playing the real parts off stage. That's how major heavy metal acts get such full and rich sounds - by having a keyboard player or two in the wings.

I have worked on a few projects where everything had to be real and authentic, but nearly everything I have ever either recorded myself or was recorded in my presence was the very opposite of live. Live and authentic is just not how the cookie crumbles!

Millie-Vanillie, Boney M, DJ-Bobo, Far Corporation, Eruption were all produced by German former 'Schlager' singer Frank Farian. It's amazing how similar they all sound - especially the voices! In fact some of the lines and harmonies sound just like the magnificent basso-profundo voice of Farian himself! The other voices sound just like session singers Brad Howell and John Davis and the female voices seem to sound just like the Rocco Sisters.

Funny that!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Mr Showbiz wrote:I'll qualify my opinion by first saying I know nothing about this type of music, but;

Don't know where you got that idea, but no, it doesn't work like that at all.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby BigRedX » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm

But... if you can't promote the f*** out of it after you've finished and released the recording you'll sell about 5 copies to your friends and family, and that will be it.

And for that genre of music one of the most effective ways of promoting it will be to have a band that can play it live (while putting on an awesome stage show).
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Gone To Lunch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Perhaps one approach would be to find an already established working band, and bribe them to love your project ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:Perhaps one approach would be to find an already established working band, and bribe them to love your project ?

By which I mean, see if they like it, and pay them for their work if thy would like to do it ?

(I did not wish to imply that it wasn't good enough to like or anything like that.)
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Previous