You are here

X-Keys

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: X-Keys

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 pm

How easy is it to set up a Stream Deck Mini to control Reaper transport functions, and, maybe record arm for a limited number of tracks?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 am

The Stream Deck can generate any hotkey you can imagine, so as long as there's a key command to do it you should be fine.

But I've not used the mini version, so caveat.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 am

Sounds like what I need then, thanks.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am

Although I have both an ICON QCON, and MCU Pro (under the desk collecting dust and for sale) I wanted instant access to any track and settled on a Novation Launchpad. Although meant to be an Ableton controller I used the Generic Remote to set up the Launch pad and WOW I have 64 pads + 16 other 'buttons' I use the buttons down the right hand side for transport and common stuff (UNDO, DELETE, RTLL etc)

I have set it up to access any of 32 audio/VSTi tracks, 16 MIDI and the other 16 pads giving me instant access to Fade IN/OUT, Bounce, INsert Silence etc etc etc

It works a treat, all I need now is a Faderport or Alphatrack, X-Control One and I can see the Icon becoming redundant, I like it but don't like having to constantly page from Bank to Bank.

The cost of the LaunchPad? £30 off eBay (it came without software)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm

I use my X32 Compact for an interface and just need a simple device for transport controls and maybe track arming so the Stream Deck Mini looks perfect. Anything bigger would take up too much desk space. I may yet not go there as I can assign some of the buttons on the X23 to transport control via midi but the Stream Deck looks more versatile (and, more importantly, has LCD labelling, worth the money for the cool factor alone :D ).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster