You are here

Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Mac mini rumour...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 am

[sigh]Wish it was[/sigh]. But as I've explained elsewhere this is a near-once-in-a-lifetime piece of self-indulgence that will never pay for itself, but who cares, it's gorgeous!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby redlester » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:01 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:[sigh]Wish it was[/sigh]. But as I've explained elsewhere this is a near-once-in-a-lifetime piece of self-indulgence that will never pay for itself, but who cares, it's gorgeous!

CC

On a much smaller financial scale, this is what I said when I recently found myself finally buying the Gretsch semi-acoustic I'd been ogling for ages. :P
redlester
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:43 am

The Gretsch will probably last longer.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:23 am

But the Mac might well last as long as me ;)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:22 am

Looked into the local Apple store today, planning to get a new iPhone and iPad Pro in a week or so.

Was advised that there are announcements due in a couple of days and that they expect new models and pricing changes.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby redlester » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:16 pm

zenguitar wrote:Looked into the local Apple store today, planning to get a new iPhone and iPad Pro in a week or so.

Was advised that there are announcements due in a couple of days and that they expect new models and pricing changes.

Andy :beamup:

6pm tomorrow.....
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Well what a let down that was last night! Two hours of guff about watches and phones, and nothing about any new desktops or laptops.
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm

redlester wrote:Well what a let down that was last night! Two hours of guff about watches and phones, and nothing about any new desktops or laptops.

IE exactly what everyone expected. That event was never going to include Macs.

They *may* have another event this year, and if they have a good variety of Macs to show, then they might be included then. Macs just aren't sexy to the general public...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm

desmond wrote:They *may* have another event this year, and if they have a good variety of Macs to show, then they might be included then. Macs just aren't sexy to the general public...

Ah. I was under the impression they only launched things at bi-annual big announcements. I see now looking back historically they have also had October announcements.

I guess it's still next March minimum for the previously mentioned new Mac Pro. Perhaps even a year away.
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:05 pm

redlester wrote:Ah. I was under the impression they only launched things at bi-annual big announcements. I see now looking back historically they have also had October announcements.

Yes, but they do also launch things without big splashy announcements too - it really depends on the products at the time and the messaging they want to get out there. A new faster iMac that's otherwise the same as previous models isn't worth shouting about, and likewise, the general public and press probably aren't that bothered about a Mac Pro, so it's less likely they'll have an event for things like that (unless, as I say, they've got a good range of Macs with new stuff that's worth making a combined event for).

Often the pro stuff they take to more pro focused events, so they often tie in Logic or Final Cut updates with events in those industries.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm

A mini pro at the Mojave release on the 27th...?
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby redlester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:19 pm

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote:Ah. I was under the impression they only launched things at bi-annual big announcements. I see now looking back historically they have also had October announcements.

Yes, but they do also launch things without big splashy announcements too - it really depends on the products at the time and the messaging they want to get out there. A new faster iMac that's otherwise the same as previous models isn't worth shouting about, and likewise, the general public and press probably aren't that bothered about a Mac Pro, so it's less likely they'll have an event for things like that (unless, as I say, they've got a good range of Macs with new stuff that's worth making a combined event for).

Often the pro stuff they take to more pro focused events, so they often tie in Logic or Final Cut updates with events in those industries.

Cheers, interesting. As you can tell am still very new to following/second guessing any Apple news/events. Am sure some would say us late adopters have actually missed the golden era? ;)
redlester
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm

desmond wrote:...and likewise, the general public and press probably aren't that bothered about a Mac Pro, so it's less likely they'll have an event for things like that...

The fact they've now got the Steve Jobs Theater on campus makes it easier for Apple to hold fast turnaround 'events' rather than booking the San Fran Moscone Center. But I wouldn't hold your breath for a new Mac Pro in 2018. Phil Schiller's got to get over the excitement those iPhones aroused in him first. ;-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,717 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF sample Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby redlester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Forum Admin wrote:But I wouldn't hold your breath for a new Mac Pro in 2018. Phil Schiller's got to get over the excitement those iPhones aroused in him first. ;-)

There were quotes earlier this year that the Mac Pro wouldn't be until 2019.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/apple ... d-for-2019

But there were strong rumours about a new Mac Mini leading up to this week, that's why I raised the issue.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Here we go... October 30th.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/
redlester
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 am

Jup! That must be the one!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:19 am

According to a rumour I heard from a usually reliable source they're going to announce that they've downloaded Steve Jobs' soul into an array of networked iMac Pros and he is going to resume leadership of the company. So they say.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 am

I heard about that as well CC. Come back Steve! Save the world!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:36 pm

There you go.
i5 or i7, 4 core or 6 core, up to 64GB RAM , up to 2TB SSD.
4xTB3, 2xUSB, HDMI.
No idea if it's still user upgradeable?
Entry model is $799. Don't know what the prices are for the higher specs (I could hazard a guess!).
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Well I have to say I'm impressed despite myself. 4 or 6 core, up to 64GB SODIMM RAM, 4 TB3 and 2 USB 3 ports. That's a pretty beefy machine. I might well have gone for one of those instead of the iMac Pro if it had been available when I needed it. Nice one, Apple (but also, about time too).

CC

Edit: Ah, so you were watching too :)

On the user upgradeability front I would guess the RAM is upgradeable as otherwise why make a fuss about it being SODIMM? For the SSD I'd guess probably not, or maybe like the iMac pro, upgradeable if you don't mind major disassembly and have all the special tools.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Next