You are here

Kontakt 5 Player for drums?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Kontakt 5 Player for drums?

Postby garrettendi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:23 am

Let me know how that goes Humble Bee! I have to wait til after Christmas sadly. Wedding is more important!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:26 am

garrettendi wrote:Let me know how that goes Humble Bee! I have to wait til after Christmas sadly. Wedding is more important!

Good on you Garrettendi! Good luck with that!
It's great! I've done it several times! :thumbup:

Will be back..
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:30 pm

I have Komplete 9 which includes Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60s Drums, and Battery.

Hooking up to an electronic kit (an oldish Yamaha DTXtreme IIs in my case), the Kontakt based instruments (i.e. not Battery) are straightforward to use once you've tweaked your kit to send the right MIDI notes and massaged the velocity curves a bit.

Battery covers a lot of sonic ground: I've not really explored it much though because I find the sounds and interface on the Kontakt instruments more to my liking. It's more liking playing with a mic'ed up kit and the mixer interface gives a straightforward way of changing the sound.

Studio Drummer has one good kit imho and two less good ones. The Studio kit is the good one. Modern-sounding, lively and versatile: you could use it for rock, pop, reggae, jazz-funk-fusion, prog: a lot of mainstream styles. The Garage kit is OK but a bit "flat" and I've yet to find a use for the Stadium kit, which I think sounds horrible. Each to their own.

For more retro styles - soul, funk, classic rock: the AR Late 60s kit is good. The AR Early 60s kit is a good "character" kit for when you want something fairly crusty.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Duplicate post - DELETED
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby job » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:13 pm

Humble Bee wrote:I don't know anything about kontakt tho and I wonder if one gets away with only the free player or if it's worth getting the full Kontakt license.

The Kontakt player can play any library, including the 3rd party ones. Libraries are the instruments that can be added to Kontakt's browser tab, as opposed to an instrument that you search for and load from the file system. The full Kontakt is for sampler duties and being able to load non-library instruments.

There's a non-exhaustive list of 3rd party libraries here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... libraries/
job
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:18 pm

I am ot sure, but I would double-check that Studio Drummer/Abbey Road can be used with Kontakt Player, but thsat being said I only have Komplete 10, which includes Kontakt.

I like Studio Drummer and Abbey Road, but I found they were rapacious with CPU use, but then I found on the internet that the kits load with full effects and dynamics turned on. I turned those off and the CPU use immediately decreased from somethign like 25% to about 5%

Like other posters I too use Battery, it is really easy to use and customise. Like yourself I too use MT Drums for it's economy of resources and quick access - if only one could import samples, Mr MT Drummer here's a shout out, I for one would buy the product if that facility was added, it's a great product you have.

I have also used BFD, Addictive Drums, Steinberg Groove Agent - all of which are great but for me a little over-sophisticated. I still get perplexed by Groove Agent, why have about half a dozen different ways to load a Kit? etc etc etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Rest assured I have double checked through an exhaustive search on the NI forums.

Studio Drummer definitely runs on Kontakt Player!

EDIT: There are also a couple of YouTube vids showing it in Player. I can post these if anyone would like to see them! :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby job » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:25 am

All of NI's Kontakt instruments are libraries, therefore they all work in the Kontakt player.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -5-player/
job
Regular

Postby John Egan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:07 am

Hi,
I don't know if anyone remembers this but some years ago there was a CD of drum samples by Joey Kramer of Aerosmith. I bought it on a recommendation (by SOS, I think) and have used it a lot since then. It's probably the most cost effective drum solution I have ever bought. Takes a bit of work looping the samples, though.
Regards, John

(edit) I think it might be still available if you search for it.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Previous