You are here

Small mixer plus active portable speakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Small mixer plus active portable speakers

Postby Mus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Hello folks,

Can anyone suggest anything along these lines, please?

It's just for a couple of mics plus one keyboard, mp3 player and and acoustic guitar, so even 6 inputs plus reverb is fine.

The smaller the speakers the better, ideally all portable in a bag on the tube.

I have been using this from Maplins and the 2x70W power for size of pub rooms is fine, except that mp3 playback is in mono:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJtech-Stage-C ... B008RAUSKM

I thought I'd seen some small Boss speakers that might do the job but can't find them.

Cheers!
M
Mus
Regular
Murray Webster London Songwriters - Collaboration Songshare Retreats Community

Re: Small mixer plus active portable speakers

Postby Janneman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:04 pm

A&h mixer with RCF speakers.
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Janneman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Or this set Samson Expedition XP800
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Why is .mp3 in mono a problem? Most live sound rigs run in 'dual mono'?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Humble Bee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:22 pm

A&H Zed10fx + RCF or Yamaha!
RCF Art 410! Classic small/light PA with punch. Doable on the tube with a trolley and a backpack... and some curage. But worth it for the sound and general quality.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Hk Audio Lucas 608/602 ? Or the smaller 300 range?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/hk-audio-lucas-nano-608i
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:12 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Why is .mp3 in mono a problem? Most live sound rigs run in 'dual mono'?

Thanks Sam, I didn't realise that.

One of the things I do is song share critique events, sometimes the songs are live, sometimes on MP3 and the mixes in mono are not ideal.

If a small mixer has a pan control I'm assuming it doesn't then get summed to mono?

M
Mus
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:35 am

Mus wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Why is .mp3 in mono a problem? Most live sound rigs run in 'dual mono'?

One of the things I do is song share critique events, sometimes the songs are live, sometimes on MP3 and the mixes in mono are not ideal.

If a small mixer has a pan control I'm assuming it doesn't then get summed to mono?

Line only inputs on small mixers, e.g. my Z10 do not have "pan" they have balance controls so you can change the relative levels of the two channels. Note, you need the MP3 split out from stereo 3.5mm to 2X 1/4" jack. But, I am wondering if your "mono" problem is in fact that you are losing one channel?

The Z10 is a nice mixer but might be rather a bigger foot print than you would like?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:09 am

ef37a wrote:
Mus wrote:

If a small mixer has a pan control I'm assuming it doesn't then get summed to mono?M

Line only inputs on small mixers, e.g. my Z10 do not have "pan" they have balance controls so you can change the relative levels of the two channels. Note, you need the MP3 split out from stereo 3.5mm to 2X 1/4" jack. But, I am wondering if your "mono" problem is in fact that you are losing one channel?

The Z10 is a nice mixer but might be rather a bigger foot print than you would like?

Dave.

OK, thanks Dave. Will check the specs. Balance control would be fine. Yes, I split to 1/4" jacks and tested at home for stereo.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will check them out.

A smaller footprint all-together would be great but I'm sure there are compromises. I thought there might be a smaller speaker solution. For example I often don't even bother running acoustic guitars or keyboard through the PA as they are loud enough for a small space, just the mics, so that they cut through. I still want the inputs though.

Cheers
M
Mus
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:39 am

richardbordman wrote:No, actually he didn't write it at all...he cut'n'pasted it from another (old) website post elsewhere to seed this site for spam. He's outta here... HR

I think:

You're out of date in your assessment of small speakers; you've ignored the application for which information is being requested.

So you're completely right in your assessment Mike! :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster