You are here

Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Looking for small form-factor re-amp boxes

Postby Kayvon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 pm

In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:
Kayvon
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 pm

DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Thanks for the additional comments!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Kayvon wrote:In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

In my case I was re-amping in order to overdrive inputs and I found I could make finer adjustments around the sweet spot of different bits of gear. I'd recommend ponying up for the impedance matching gear to at least see :thumbup:

What are the impedances you are "matching" and what exactly do you mean by "match"?

Any chance of comparative clips at the various "Zeds"?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kayvon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am

ef37a wrote:
Kayvon wrote:In my amateur home studio experiments the impedance matching does make a real difference and makes things a lot easier to dial in.

What are the impedances you are "matching" and what exactly do you mean by "match"?

Any chance of comparative clips at the various "Zeds"?

Dave.

Would it surprise you to hear that one of my favoured adages is "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" ?

Mrs Clinton's office has got back to me and it seems I did not 'mis-speak' but was in fact just talking booboo.

I need to re-read what exactly my Little Labs Redeye is doing impedance-wise when I put it in between my soundcard and these various guitar inputs.

Suffice for me to say I find it beneficial to have the reamp box connected versus just attenuating levels using my mixer. I can then make finer gain adjustments to dial in exactly what level of distortion I want.

How that exactly relates to impedance I don't understand I'll refrain from gabbling in the future apologies all.
Kayvon
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:56 am

No worries Kayton!

I was perhaps being rather pedantic. The problem is people get confused about "matching" and this audio game is technical enough and there is a lot of misinformation and outright advertising "puff" out there confusing folks.

Whatever gets you the sound you want is right.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Kayvon wrote:I need to re-read what exactly my Little Labs Redeye is doing impedance-wise when I put it in between my soundcard and these various guitar inputs.

I've just had a look at the website and downloadable 'manual', and it doesn't say anything other than that the reamp output is suitable for a high-impedance guitar amp input... but then almost conventional electronic source would be!

It does mention that its transformers were chosen for the sonic quality, and I presume that applies equally to both the DI and reamp sides.

Suffice for me to say I find it beneficial to have the reamp box connected versus just attenuating levels using my mixer. I can then make finer gain adjustments to dial in exactly what level of distortion I want.

Yes, there are several practical advantages from using a proper Reamp box for this application. They convert the balanced line-level source into an unbalanced instrument level one, while also providing ground isolation (to avoid nasty ground-loop noises) and, in the case of the red eye (and some others), selectable polarity-inversion too.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm

I will have time tonight to try the Doepfer attenuator.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Update: So I was able to try my Doepfer modules in their attenuator setting. Works a treat! Best part is because they also act as mixers and mults, I was able to take the audio from a single module and run both the dry and effected signals simultaneously. Perfect!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Previous