You are here

how to ea properly vocal eq

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: how to ea properly vocal eq

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 am

Cheers :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby dennisgamalej » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:49 pm

so i leave the eq on vocal channel flat except highpassfilter yes?
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes, if you want to get a specific vocal sound, you put effects on the vocal channel, including EQ. Makes no sense to EQ the master bus for that.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 pm

dennisgamalej wrote:so i leave the eq on vocal channel flat except highpassfilter yes?

Yes, that's a good starting point. As you get more experienced you will probably find that you use certain Eq settings with certain singers but the exact settings depend on the singer, the mic, the sound system and the acoustics of the venue.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby plodsmeade » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 am

Wonks wrote:You don't EQ the FOH PA for vocals..

True, although obviously you can EQ a PA with vocals, and I've often found it's the best way to reveal problem areas.

dennisgamalej - your eq curve does look slightly unusual for live use in general, particularly in the boosts of bands 3+4. Someone else might step in with a technical characterisation of the advantages of cutting vs boosting, and while this applies to live sound too, perhaps engineers just prefer the greater predictability of cutting in terms of gain before feedback. Having said that, your EQ curve could be equivalent to a deeper cut at band 1, shallow cuts at 2 + 3 and greater overall gain, and may be warranted if the vocalist+mic+PA+venue combo is particularly dark or muddy sounding. But as others have pointed out there's no standard curve which isn't a straight line.
plodsmeade
Regular

Postby The Sponge » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:08 am

Another often overlooked thing to consider is, A vocal mic picks up a significant amount of bleed from other instruments and if the singer is positioned near the drum kit, The mic ends up being a quasi mono drum mic.
So any eq moves such as a Hi freq boost result in bringing up the top end of the kit (snare /cymbals) etc thru the vocal channel.
So that's another vote for hpf the bottom end, A little higher than a isolated studio vocal as it will pickup some unwanted low stage frequencies that may end up in your monitors and don't need boosting thru the PA.
The Sponge
Poster
Always Adsorbing even if I think I'm full.

Previous