You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby BigRedX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Fair question....
Because
A/i don’t own AutoCad or know how to use it, I only know how to bluff my way clumsily through Coreldraw
And
B/ a friend in the UK is doing the Top panel cad file for free for me after reading Cora’s sad plight he offered to help because he felt my pain. I’m just sending him pictures (hundreds of them) with digital calipers across every part of Cora and he’s doing the cad in his spare time!

The laser recut of the top panel may never happen if the original one turns out successfully im just keeping all options on the table at this point !

Cheers!

I see. That makes sense.

I had assumed from your previous posts that the CAD drawing had been completed in CorelDraw, when it appears that they are still a work in progress.

I would have still started by creating an accurate full-size drawing of the panels with all the cutouts for the sliders and other controls in your vector drawing program of choice. Mine would be Adobe Illustrator - I haven't used CorelDraw since 1990 but I expect that it has kept pace with Illustrator in the intervening years so it should be relatively trivial to do this.

I would have then ripped the vector file into Photoshop at 120 pixels/cm, and lined up the photograph(s) of the panel graphics on a separate layer and using the warp and/or distort transformation tools made sure that the photographs lined up exactly with the drawing. Then I would have removed the drawing and saved the modified photo to use as a template in my drawing program. That way I would have known that my final artwork file was 100% accurate first time.

I would have also got all of this done and checked before I sanded off the original graphics.

Still I can't help but be impressed by the results, and everything else you have done is way beyond what I am capable of. Looking forward to the next instalment.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby DarrenGlen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:24 am

Hi all a new post is up today discussing Cora’s various screws ! (Mods it’s not what you think it’s really about screws!)

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... jupiter-8/

Cheers !
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:44 am

:thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm glad you picked up on the fact that Roland uses JIS screws in its construction -- as does most Japanese equipment.

JIS screws look similar to Phillips but the required screw-driver blades are straight rather than tapered, and using a phillips driver in a JIS head will knacker the slots very quickly.

Most JIS screws are identified as such by having a small dot on the screw head alongside the cross (or occasionally a x mark).
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 pm

JIS screw heads used on many Japanese motorcycles too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DarrenGlen » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm glad you picked up on the fact that Roland uses JIS screws in its construction -- as does most Japanese equipment.

Most JIS screws are identified as such by having a small dot on the screw head alongside the cross (or occasionally a x mark).

yep except I couldn't find that mark on Coras remaining front panel screw, or many others from underneath. Either the marks are not there or the screw surface is so rusted that I couldn't make it out. The "dot" theory is a nice rule but I'm not sure that it was always adhered to.

And so many examples of Jupiter 8s that ive seen close-up have their front crucial 3 panel screws "knackered" and ripped apart for this exact reason...some dood has just shoved an electric drill with a phillips head in there to do them up fast and instead of the drill bit popping up at the end when things get tight, instead it bites hard and then just shreds the screw teeth. Not a good look when you are staring down at it constantly as you play.

Anyways hopefully the article helps some owners to avoid damage in the future with some newfound knowledge!

Cheers Hugh!
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:51 pm

Just looking in again for an update.
Seriously impressed with your continued dedication and close attention to detail.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby DarrenGlen » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 pm

Folderol wrote:Just looking in again for an update.
Seriously impressed with your continued dedication and close attention to detail.

Thanks Fold you know what they say ... “The Devils in the Details!”

Unless it is referring to your wife at which point you recalibrate to the other saying “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” hehe
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks for posting this! I restored my old Juno 6 a couple of years ago and had similar issues with screws – ended up finding a local-ish manufacturer who had an excellent range. They're not all the right finish, but for underneath I wasn't so bothered, and I preferred the soft grey of the new end cheek screws to the original bronze-y colour. Compromises, but fair, I think. Glad to see you managed to find something for that front panel, they do need to be right!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:28 am

Hi all, Coras panel is back from the silkscreen printers !

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... ilkscreen/
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 am

Fabulous work! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 am

Absolutely stunning - a fantastic write-up too! :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:23 pm

You need to video the (eventual) first switch-on and play experience...

It's going to be emotional... :lol: :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Great to see a master at their work. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Wow - just wow!!! :shock: :clap: 8-)

You may need to seek the help of a therapist once Cora is finally finished Darren.

It's normally after the event that folk cave in to the stress ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:52 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Wow - just wow!!! :shock: :clap: 8-)

You may need to seek the help of a therapist once Cora is finally finished Darren.

It's normally after the event that folk cave in to the stress ;)

Martin

Yes but this time Martin after the event I will have a Jupiter 8 to play as therapy :)
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby IAA » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:43 am

Wow :headbang: The big switch on is getting close. I’ve really enjoyed following this adventure, what’s your ETA on completion and job done?

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby DarrenGlen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Hey Ian ...thanks for reading Coras blog! Glad you’re enjoying it ...no ETA. I’d like to say ... before Christmas? It’s going to move along faster now that I’m past that big bottleneck of the panel. But the side cheeks are going to take time, they need polishing and finishing and then anodizing. Those workshops can take months to do their job ...Hmmmpf.

And I still don’t know what to do about the hestsink. I just can’t put that ugly beaten up thing on such a thing of beauty... I really need another one to truely finish the job
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext