You are here

Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Mac mini rumour...

Postby Luke W » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:43 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:The tech specs use the phrase "configurable to" - which is Apple speak for "no, it isn't" - for everything including RAM.

Does look like that may be the case, hardly a shock at this point though I suppose. Bit of a shame still as the cost of the RAM is still insane, maxing it out would roughly double the cost of the machine I just spec'd up!

Still though, when compared to the price of a current Mac Pro, and assuming the new ones when they release will be in a similar range, this new mini could prove to be a decent choice for me when I decide to head back towards a desktop.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby bigfox2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the detailed answers, friends! I guess my follow-up is if I indeed do have a monitor, would you buy an iMac for music production or the new Mac Mini?
bigfox2

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:52 pm

It looks like the RAM is user upgradable according to a lot of comments on the web. Can any expert confirm this...

:?
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:16 pm

bigfox2 wrote:Thanks for all the detailed answers, friends! I guess my follow-up is if I indeed do have a monitor, would you buy an iMac for music production or the new Mac Mini?

If we're talking about similar specs otherwise I'd be inclined towards the Mac Mini. Reason being I got an iMac a good few years back and which lasted me quite a while too. When it eventually failed it was the screen itself which was no longer in stock with Apple, so of course the whole machine was scrapped. That turned me off all-in-ones a bit. (Yet here I am with another one. Rational? Me?)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby redlester » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:42 pm

Humble Bee wrote:It looks like the RAM is user upgradable according to a lot of comments on the web. Can any expert confirm this...
?

Think am right in saying the last model, the 2014, wasn’t user upgradable? So if they had reversed that policy I would have expected them to have it right at the top of their marketing headlines, not leaving half the world debating whether it is or not.
I will be very surprised if it is.
redlester
Regular

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:00 am

Yes, RAM is upgradable, (just looked at the pics on the applestore )
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Jorge » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:19 am

Quote from ZDNet,
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-new-2 ... y-package/
"Yes, Mac mini is configurable up to 64GB and uses industry-standard DDR4 SO-DIMMs. While we don't consider the memory directly end-user accessible, service providers can access the internals of the Mac mini to upgrade the memory."

Quote from Appleinsider,
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10 ... e-and-more
"The slots are SO-DIMM slots, and are mostly accessible to the user. In conversations with Apple corporate employees, we've been told that users with a "modicum of skill" can get to the pair of RAM slots." They also mention that the SSD is not user changeable, so you have to use external SSDs for drive expansion.
Jorge
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am

This leads me to want:

i7
512 gb SDD
8gb ram

£ 1'360 (converted from chf 1'737,80)

Add 32 gb ram ($330 OWC macsales.com)

Add external SDD (here I don't have a clue what to get but a 2x1TB SDD enclosure on TB3 ? Any recommendations appreciated)

I like the fact that there is normal USB connections.

And is that 4 independent TB 3 busses?

So now who will have to wait until Christmas? Apple or the taxman? :tongue:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 am

Humble Bee wrote:Add external SDD (here I don't have a clue what to get but a 2x1TB SDD enclosure on TB3 ? Any recommendations appreciated)

I recently got this Inateck drive enclosure and fitted it with two Samsung 1TB SSDs. You can use them in a RAID configuration but I've just got them as two separate drives. It's USB 3.1 Gen 2 so will use one of your TB3 ports. It's pretty fast and I like it; a true TB3 unit using Nvme rather than SATA would be quite a bit faster but also a lot more expensive - you wouldn't believe how eye-wateringly much.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

New Mac Mini launched

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 am

Dave B wrote:You can save a few hundred quid by getting your own RAM.

Are we 100% sure the RAM is user-upgradeable? I'd heard it was Apple Store option only? I'd love to be wrong...

Dave B wrote:And I don't need a big SSD either...

With 4 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, you can hang plenty of [lower-cost than Apple Store?] storage off that. You'd only need a bigger internal SSD if you were using it in mobile situations.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,763 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Re: New Mac Mini launched

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:11 am

Forum Admin wrote:Are we 100% sure the RAM is user-upgradeable? I'd heard it was Apple Store option only? I'd love to be wrong...

We will only be 100% sure once there is mention of it either way on this page.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205041

I think it's a bit poor that they haven't been clear on this. They must know it would be a huge question on everyone's mind for probably the majority of the Mac Mini's target customers.
redlester
Regular

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:18 am

WRT RAM : So, after working on a mini (badly) myself, I think I understand the whole apple-speak thing. Apple pack things in to those minis and the ram will be accessible only after doing some unscrewing and removing of other stuff (like the fan). In their eyes, this makes it something that it would take a service engineer to do. Having broken a connector on mine, I have some sympathy with this point of view.

If that's the case, even paying a qualified engineer to do the job still works out much cheaper than buying ram at Apple's prices...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 am

Dave B wrote:WRT RAM : So, after working on a mini (badly) myself, I think I understand the whole apple-speak thing. Apple pack things in to those minis and the ram will be accessible only after doing some unscrewing and removing of other stuff (like the fan). In their eyes, this makes it something that it would take a service engineer to do. Having broken a connector on mine, I have some sympathy with this point of view.

If that's the case, even paying a qualified engineer to do the job still works out much cheaper than buying ram at Apple's prices...

That used to be the way, but if they've moved to soldered-on RAM, then you'll probably void your warranty and realistically it's therefore not a typical user's option.
Forum Admin

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am

Dave B wrote:WRT RAM : So, after working on a mini (badly) myself, I think I understand the whole apple-speak thing. Apple pack things in to those minis and the ram will be accessible only after doing some unscrewing and removing of other stuff (like the fan). In their eyes, this makes it something that it would take a service engineer to do. Having broken a connector on mine, I have some sympathy with this point of view.

Agree, but they need to be 100% clear on what does or doesn't invalidate the warranty.

I suppose even if it's Apple Store only, if it can be done retrospectively that's better than nothing as it gives the option to spend more on the processor then save up for their extortionate memory upgrade at a later date.
redlester
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 am

redlester wrote:I suppose even if it's Apple Store only, if it can be done retrospectively that's better than nothing as it gives the option to spend more on the processor then save up for their extortionate memory upgrade at a later date.

:D Indeed.

Should we start a campaign on the UK.gov website to try to get over 100,000 people to vote for Apple to give a free 64Gb i7 Mac Mini with every iPhone purchase, so that Parliament (those folks in the chambers, not the funkadelic crew) will have to debate it? :bouncy:
Forum Admin

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:30 am

Forum Admin wrote:
redlester wrote:Should we start a campaign on the UK.gov website to try to get over 100,000 people to vote for Apple to give a free 64Gb i7 Mac Mini with every iPhone purchase, so that Parliament (those folks in the chambers, not the funkadelic crew) will have to debate it? :bouncy:

Actually the Funkadelic crew debating it would be much more fun! :thumbup:

The user manual is still not available on the Apple site - is that because it's not actually available until next week? Not sure how quickly they make these things available. The new MacBook Air manual is not on there either.
redlester
Regular

Re: Mac mini rumour... (it's true!)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 am

redlester wrote:The user manual is still not available on the Apple site - is that because it's not actually available until next week? Not sure how quickly they make these things available. The new MacBook Air manual is not on there either.

Apple tend not to release any manuals until the hardware is actually shipping. Possibly hails from the days long ago when they announced products that took longer to come to market -- which is why Stevie introduced his "everybody keep shtum" directive when he re-took the helm.
Forum Admin

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:54 am

Forum Admin wrote:Apple tend not to release any manuals until the hardware is actually shipping. Possibly hails from the days long ago when they announced products that took longer to come to market -- which is why Stevie introduced his "everybody keep shtum" directive when he re-took the helm.

Thanks, that explains it.

Next thing will be when the manual becomes available and makes no mention of changing RAM!
redlester
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 am

redlester wrote:Next thing will be when the manual becomes available and makes no mention of changing RAM!

To be honest, I haven't read or even seen an Apple computer manual for ages, so can't tell you what sort of 'quality' of info they dispense these days. Such things were included in ye olde days.
Forum Admin

Postby redlester » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 am

Forum Admin wrote:To be honest, I haven't read or even seen an Apple computer manual for ages, so can't tell you what sort of 'quality' of info they dispense these days. Such things were included in ye olde days.

Actually you're right, I just looked at the 2012 model manual and it's nothing other than a Quick Start Guide. Expect nothing better this time!

That page I previously linked detailing memory upgrade options is probably the one to go to for "official" information.

Interestingly OWC in America has this page for upgrades:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/ ... -mini/2018

Had a quick look and can't yet see any UK equivalents. The Crucial site has the 2018 model listed in it's selection drop-downs for memory upgrades, but it links to this:
http://uk.crucial.com/ScanListView?mode ... Id=3123508
redlester
Regular

PreviousNext