You are here

what is the best sounding small system

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

YAMAHA
25%
NEXO
No votes
D&B
25%
HK AUDIO
No votes
l-acoustics
No votes
D.A.S
No votes
RCF
25%
MARTIN AUDIO
No votes
QSC
25%
Altech Lansing
No votes

Total votes : 4

Re: what is the best sounding small system

Postby Dave B » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Where are the K2s listed at 4.5k? I only see them for 7-800 as the K.2 series only goes up to 12" drivers. Arguably, a more comparable product to the JBL that RB mentioned would be something like the KW153 and that's also about 1300-1400.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am

You need to get out there and do some listening for yourself.

I've not used everything on you list, but I work mainly the size of events you mention, so here are my thoughts:

As already said, most of those brands have several ranges, which differ vastly.

For example, I own an RCF TT+ system (started with 8" Tops & 12" Subs, and now have 12" tops as well & occasionally a 2x18" Sub). IMO, the 8" sound better (and cost less than the 12" tops), for most of what I do - though on paper there's almost no difference in their spec. But the 12" top's look more impressive, and that counts sometimes. Get to 350 people at high volume though, and I'd be looking to sub in something bigger, and not want to set it up on my own.

I'd take my TT+ over any HK, Nexo QSC or Yamaha I've ever heard for that size of system. Give me the the money, and I'd probably swap them to D&B, or more probably something from KV2 which you've missed of your list.

But the same is not true of RCF's cheaper boxes, and when started with a smaller budget I pulled them out; HK were high on my list, though in the end I decided to spend more, which I've never regretted.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am

gsc1ugs
Regular

Previous