You are here

Reaper: can I automatically split and rip tracks at markers?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reaper: can I automatically split and rip tracks at markers?

Postby Dr R » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi All,

So here's the question:
I want to record a complete service at church and output to a CD with separate tracks, and MP3s to send to podcasts. Let's assume for the moment a single stereo channel input (or that it's recorded multi-track and that the project is set up so that an acceptable stereo master output will be created without further tweaking).

What I want to do is to have an operator be able to start Reaper, hit "Record" then set markers during the recording at appropriate points (hit "M") then stop the recording at the end of the service. I'd then to be able to have them type one command that automatically splits the recording at each marker and rips each section to sequentially numbered MP3 files. I think this should be possible, and I hope to have time to experiment over Christmas. Any suggestions? (If it can then burn the ISO image of the CD even better.)

The current system we have does most the above, but it's a confusing custom-built program running on Linux taking a single aux out from the desk - and because there is no monitoring of the input levels we occasionally get truly horrible recordings. Plus none of the operators understand it and are intimidated by Linux.

As every, many thanks in advance to everyone,

Rich
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Re: Reaper: can I automatically split and rip tracks at markers?

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:21 am

You'll probably need to create a script to do this but you basically need to use the command 'Convert Markers to Regions' and then choose Regions at the top of the render dialog (as well as the relevant format and output location).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Reaper: can I automatically split and rip tracks at markers?

Postby Dr R » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks James,
That looks like it's exactly what I need to get started.

Rich
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them