You are here

Recommend quiet power supply

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Recommend quiet power supply

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:39 am

How did you come up with 1000rpm for a DC motor Wonks?

I do agree with a C weighting though. The Bquiet has a maximum speed of 1200 rpm and seven blades, that gives a "chop" rate of 140Hz? That is some 15dB below 1kHz on the A scale.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:45 am

6-pole motor with a 50Hz mains supply. However I was thinking AC and it will almost certainly be a DC motor so you can probably ignore that. :headbang:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Bouth the BeQuiet Dark Power 550W and it is indeed an extremely quiet power supply!! My PC is now extremely quiet!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Kypresso » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 pm

I've just got a Be Quiet Dark Power 11 750w and very nice it looks as well.

However, i am a bit lost as to which way up to install the psu. I have always installed a psu at the bottom of a case and with the fan facing upwards. If i do it that way with this psu then all the lettering is upside down and on the website there is a video that shows the psu installed with the fan at the bottom with the lettering the correct way up.

One of the things that persuaded me to buy this psu is that it can power the case fans and adjust the fan speeds based on the temperature. If i install it with the fan at the bottom will this still work, i'm assuming that the fan sensor is triggered by the air temperature of the air flowing through the psu and that wont work if the air intake is from outside the case.

The psu is going in a Fractal Design Define R4 case if that helps.
Kypresso

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 am

Personal preference really. I prefer it with the fan pulling air from the case, rather than outside, might as well make use of the extra air flow if we need to have a fan spinning. Admittedly I prefer cases with top mounted PSU's too for that reason (heat rises and all that), but not to the extent that it would stop me using a case with a bottom mounted one if the rest of the design is sound.

However, I don't use the fan controller on the PSU for the rest of the case, as I prefer the fans to be more localized in their control monitoring, so run them off the board BIOS where you can build your own response curves.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Previous