You are here

Best practice for VST plugin installation and folder location

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Best practice for VST plugin installation and folder location

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:14 pm

OneWorld wrote:I also once had a dicky Epson printer that worked perfectly until one day pffft - it started printing all wonky.

It wasn't me!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 pm

OneWorld wrote:
The Elf wrote:
The Bunk wrote:I still have this nagging thing that I would like to upgrade, or try other plug-ins but I just don't want to go through the whole scenario of plug-ins disappearing again.
This is really just about a basic understanding of computer folder structures. It would take 5 minutes to learn and you'd be able to move on with confidence. I'll bet YouTube is awash with tutorials.

That sounds so simple. Now try tossing Kontakt/Komplete about and let us know how you get on. Ta.
Have done. Many times! :lol:

It really is simple if you grasp the basics.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am

OneWorld wrote:The most effective solution came from a Russian website where the user advised taking the printer up to the top floor of your apartment block, and tossing it out the window

To be fair, I'll maintain that is the correct stance to take with all printers, whether they are initially in need of a repair or not.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 am

Yes One, I've seen those w'shops on TV as well...But, WE had Barry Bucknell!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm

ef37a wrote:Yes One, I've seen those w'shops on TV as well...But, WE had Barry Bucknell!

Dave.

Blimey, Barry Bucknell, the very mention of the name warms the cockles - was there anything he couldn't fix!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
OneWorld wrote:The most effective solution came from a Russian website where the user advised taking the printer up to the top floor of your apartment block, and tossing it out the window

To be fair, I'll maintain that is the correct stance to take with all printers, whether they are initially in need of a repair or not.

Knowing luck it would fall on someone's head!

BTW - what I ended up doing with those VSTs that were more pernickety was copying the files to the desired location and then renaming the original folders, or the files themselves, then if things did start going all discombobulated, then of course I'd just go back to the renamed locations
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Moroccomoose » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:05 pm

I find the differentiator between VSTs that play nice and those that don't depends on whether they are reliant on additional files (often with proprietary format samples or pre-sets of some sort such as 'Kit files' on drum instruments) or not.

This means that you have the DLL file which is the actual VST and other installation files in a folder structure. Normally during the set-up, you will be asked where to install the folder structure with supporting files (Which I always accept the default on, usually Program Files or Program Files (x86))

Then you are asked for the location of the DLL itself which I have a folder structure for as others have described before.

My VSTs are sorted on a separate drive from the OS in folders '32 Bit', '64 Bit' and 'Bridged' for use with JBridger.

On reflection, It maybe an option to have a folder specifically for those awkward VSTs that have a full install folder on C drive. It might help make the update process less painful.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:23 pm

OneWorld wrote:Knowing luck it would fall on someone's head!

Sounds about right to be fair. Either that or your method of getting home from the office is now crushed under the weight of it. It wouldn't even be bad luck, I'm convinced the damn things are sentient enough to be that vindictive at this point.

OneWorld wrote:BTW - what I ended up doing with those VSTs that were more pernickety was copying the files to the desired location and then renaming the original folders, or the files themselves, then if things did start going all discombobulated, then of course I'd just go back to the renamed locations

Great idea, and that does make a world of sense. Something I should probably also take the time to do!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
OneWorld wrote:Knowing luck it would fall on someone's head!

Pete Kaine wrote:Sounds about right to be fair. Either that or your method of getting home from the office is now crushed under the weight of it. It wouldn't even be bad luck, I'm convinced the damn things are sentient enough to be that vindictive at this point.

LOL - spot on, back of the net :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous