You are here

Soundbite from 10 meters in the garage

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Soundbite from 10 meters in the garage

Postby szymbura » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello,
I’m very glad to be a part of this forum.

So , I have the request to record soundbites/ dialogue during a speedway race . The dialogue- between coach and motorcycle riders , will take place in the motorcycle garage where all bikes are tested and repaired. Therefore there will be a lot of unwanted noise of engines . Moreover if the coach sees the microphone above his head he stops talking . So , I will have to gather sound from the distance around 10 meters . I have 4 parabolic microphones 1 x 26 inch , 1 x 16 inch and 2x 9 inch form Klover - https://kloverproducts.com/
+ cedar dns 2 dialogue noise suppressor - https://kloverproducts.com/ .
What would be the method do record dialogue best way ? What shall I buy etc .
The environment is hard , engines , screaming , public etc .

That’s a sample from the speedway - https://youtu.be/Ir2R6cPGAW8
szymbura

Re: Soundbite from 10 meters in the garage

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome! :thumbup:

What you're planning - the 10 metre thing - simply won't work.

To get anything like intelligible sound you'll need headset mics or, second-best, clip-on cardioids.

In my experience many people will baulk at headset mics, so you may have to use clip-ons. Even then you could well struggle...

So... ideally you just need to conduct the interviews and grab the comments in a quieter environment.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Will the coach know that he's being recorded and you aren't simply trying to spy on another team's plans? If the coach is going to shut up when he sees a mic, it makes it sound all rather dubious to me. Otherwise you just do it properly like Mike says.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby szymbura » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Wonks wrote:Will the coach know that he's being recorded and you aren't simply trying to spy on another team's plans? If the coach is going to shut up when he sees a mic, it makes it sound all rather dubious to me. Otherwise you just do it properly like Mike says.

They’re aware as it’s a deal with Canal+ TV but they’re just stopping the conversation or it’s not natural when they see camera and mik
szymbura

Postby szymbura » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Welcome! :thumbup:

What you're planning - the 10 metre thing - simply won't work.

To get anything like intelligible sound you'll need headset mics or, second-best, clip-on cardioids.

In my experience many people will baulk at headset mics, so you may have to use clip-ons. Even then you could well struggle...

So... ideally you just need to conduct the interviews and grab the comments in a quieter environment.

Thanks , I’ll try Q5X player microphone also
szymbura

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 pm

I agree with Mike. headset mics or lavaliers are the only real option. Parabolics won't give you the necessary separation between wanted voice and background noise in that kind of environment.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound