You are here

Kurzweil k2500xs no sound

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Kurzweil k2500xs no sound

Postby PaulDavid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 am

Im new to this forum and I’m not real sure about how to properly get an older Kurzweil K2500XS 2000 yr model working. I inherited this and it did come out of a working home studio but I cannot seem to get it to play. I have the performance guide and the reference guide manuals for it a lot of software and I think it has the KDFX option as well. When I turn it on and plug in a set of headphones there is no sound when I try playing it. It lights up and goes through all the sequences. I have nothing plugged in to it other then the headphones. I realize this is fairly complex piece of equipment and I did manage to figure out how to run a few diagnostic test on it. It seemed to pass everything with the exception of the MIDI vert..? Not even sure what that is but it failed that test. Is there anyone who knows this model that can give me an idea of what I may be doing wrong? There is also a Kurzweil DMT Interface with it but I’m really not sure what that does either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PaulDavid
New here

Re: Kurzweil k2500xs no sound

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Is MIDI Local Control switched to 'Off'?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby PaulDavid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm so "unfamiliar" " with this type of equipment I'm not sure where to look for the switch. Suggestions?
PaulDavid
New here

Postby PaulDavid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Ok, I think since I really don't know what I'm doing and I am NOT a computer person, I need to take the entire keyboard and the MDTI to a music shop and see if they can figure it out. Unfortunately, I'm not a very patient person with computers and this piece of equipment appears to be just that. So rather than trying to go through Kurzweil 101 with a bit of frustration, I'll just bring it to a shop. I just really need to sell it or donate it but I wanted to know if it works first. Thxs for the input.
PaulDavid
New here

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 pm

If you're anywhere near Sheffield I could take a look.

MIDI Local Control will be under the 'MIDI' button. If you're still struggling you should be able to find the manual online.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:55 pm

BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm

All the manuals are at

http://kurzweil.com/product/k2500/downloads/

so it would be worth looking through those. Does it include and demo songs? If it does then it could be a good way to check that the audio side of things is working.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby PaulDavid » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:00 pm

wow....not sure what happened but it's working !!
I did a hard reboot and nothing happened......just this morning I decided to take one last crack at it. I turned it on and maybe, just maybe I expected the reboot to take effect immediately after I did it. What I think happened is that I didn't turn off the keyboard and then turn it back on (like a restart on a computer, duh) Anyway, when it was turned on it went through an entire reloading of effects and other stuff that it never did before and now it works!.... Oh course I don't have a clue as to how to use it properly but at least now I can advertise it as a working unit. Thxs guys I appreciate your input.....
Cheers!
PaulDavid
New here

Postby Janneman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Is there not a backup battery inside that had to be replaced.
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Janneman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby PaulDavid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:28 am

I did replace the 3 batteries about a week ago, didn't make any difference. I'm just glad to get sounds out of it now ! Thxs for the video links...I'll check them out. This keyboard is a hoot !......I'm not a keyboard player but it's kinda fun playing with all the different sounds it produces....I do have about 6-8 floppy discs, as well as some CD's that I think he was using to download off of or on to. Haven't looked that far into it but there may be a backup floppy there as well, not sure. I think after the factory reset it may have gone back to all the defaults as if it were being pulled out of the box for the first time. Not sure about that either but I would think that's what a reset does. Now however, I have a much larger display in the center of the screen that the mode is displayedin. Before the reset there was a smaller display with the modes on the right. It's actually easier to read this way but I'm sure I wiped all the programmed data that was stored in it. Does anyone have an idea of what this unit and the DMTI may be worth in today's market? I'm in Idaho USA but have a friend in Southern California that I can bring it to the next time I'm there (seeing grandkids) which, I think, is where Kurzweil is located. May be a better place to find a new home for it since it saturated with talent........we're pretty remote here in Idaho.
PaulDavid
New here