You are here

Guitar multi fx with decent looping time

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Guitar multi fx with decent looping time

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 pm

The Helix is good but the pitch based stuff is bloody awful.

For vocal harmonies you would be better getting the audience to help.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:05 pm

:lol: tried that, it's hard enough getting the band to help some gigs.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:07 pm

What is this 'audience' you speak of?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 pm

I wish I knew......

Anyway a couple of days reading manuals and reviews plus this thread seem to have suppressed the GAS, temporarily at least, so thanks everybody, I'll see what I can do with what I have (to which end I have bought a couple of metres of real 'Velcro" and have some posh melamine faced plywood in the garage) :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:58 am

A quick update, The acoustic pedalboard now has The Tone Dexter, into a standard sized TC Flashback Delay (more sophisticated than the Mooer) and the TC DittoJam X2.

The electric board has the other DittoJam X2 added.

WRT to the DittoJam X2, it does track the drums tempo very well as long as it has a strong signal, feeding a drum machine into it works a treat, stomping the floor alongside less so. And it does very weird things if you run in sync mode without a decent sync input (random, huge tempo changes). It has three modes, 'BeatSense' mode (where tempo tracks the sync input), practice (where tempo is adjustable but doesn't need continuous sync input, great for slowing stuff down for practice) and 'Classic' (normal loop mode), switching between modes is, thankfully, easy with the foot switches. Definitely think it'll be a keeper. Best deal by a long way (shipped to the UK) is from Thomann where it's £114 instead of £180-200.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:58 pm

I've been looking at multi fx again so decided an update is appropriate. I did a couple of rehearsals leading up to a gig last month and the other guitar player had a Helix. As you all know I'm a total gear head, and especially the digital sh1t. But where guitar is concerned I'm a bit of a luddite. A few years ago I built an 18Watt combo and reverted to stomp boxes. I've been very happy with my rig (TC Dual Distortion/Cry Baby/Delay/TC mini HoF into the 18Watt) since but have periodic attacks of GAS (don't we all?).

I'm revisiting the "one box to rule them all" approach and was looking at a Boss GT1000 (I still have my GT3 which is my favourite of all the multi fx I've owned). I'm dismayed to find it only has 38 secs of looper memory! This thing costs £800 FFS, WTF are they thinking.........

Ok so back to the Helix. Well the other guitarist mentioned above uses one into a couple of Alto TS208s, I set up the other side of the stage with a Tube Screamer and my trusty DIY18Watt combo (total cost to me about £300). I guess you can see where this is going.... I was not impressed with the sounds he was making, don't get me wrong, he's a decent player (and, incidentally, a very nice guy) and has obviously spent considerable time setting up the Helix but it sounded weak compared to my rig. I'm sure better programming would sort most of the problems I heard out but there was a 'processed' sound to the output that seemed 'distant' to my ears.

So I'm back to square one I guess, maybe I should just accept that I'm a blues guitarist and get over myself :blush:

Oh and the DittiJam X2? It's good but needs a solid input to stay in time. My drummer has had to modify some of his fancy tricks on the kick/snare to give it a chance but if you give it a simple 'four to the floor' it's pretty impressive. I'm still working out if kick or snare is most effective (and looking at using a stomper split to the PA and the DittoJam on the acoustic shows).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Sam, I don't fully understand what you're aiming at with all that memory, but the Digitech JamMan (discontinued) has an SD card slot, and even w/o it you have 35 min. of internal memory, a 16 sec. looper and half a dozen or so delay types. Here's the spec. from the manual:

Congratulations and thank you for purchasing the JamMan® Delay! The JamMan
Delay Looper features both true stereo looping and a fully programmable stereo
delay with powerful control over both effects.
The Looper in the JamMan Delay Looper offers true stereo looping with 35
minutes of built-in memory, 99 internal loop memories, and an SD card expansion
slot for an additional 99 loops and over 16 hours of stereo loop storage! USB
connectivity provides syncing to DigiTech’s free JamManager™ looper librarian
software that organizes and saves your loops to a PC or Mac. JamManager also lets
you quickly create custom loop JamLists to take to your gig.
The JamMan Delay Looper’s delay is a powerful stereo delay with 3 fully
programmable preset memories that can be recalled instantly via dedicated
footswitches. A palette of 8 delay types offers tremendous flexibility in crafting
virtually any delay sound. With 16 seconds of delay time, a tap tempo footswitch, and
full morphing of the delay controls via the expression input, the JamMan Delay is in a
class all its own.
Features:
• Store over 35 minutes of stereo, CD-Quality loops in 99 internal memories
• Optional SDHC card can store over 16 hours* of CD-quality audio in 99
additional memories (198 memories total)
• Downloadable JamManager™ librarian for PC and Mac archives and organizes
your loops over USB
• Reverse Loop Playback
• 3 Loop Stop modes (Stop, Finish, and Fade)
• Time Stretching lets you slow down or speed up loops without changing pitch
• 16 seconds of true stereo delay
• 3 fully programmable delay presets
• 8 unique delay types including Digital, Tape, Analog, Reverse, and Modulated delay
• Expression pedal input for morphing between 2 delay settings or controlling loop
playback level
• Dry path defeat for parallel effects loops
• 8 Heavy-duty metal footswitches for looping and delay control
• Optional footswitch adds additional Hands-Free functionality
FrankF
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:11 pm

The answer is back up the thread a ways but to summarise, I use a looper mostly as a surrogate rhythm guitarist, I already have 5 loop pedals (Boss RC 3/30/300 and 2 x TC DittoJam X2) plus a couple of MFX with a loop facility. Using the DittoJam is great in the band (where it'll only be asked to perform a short phrase on two or three tunes) and for practice. But you need to play the whole rhythm track at the beginning of each tune, great a couple of times but trying of the patience of even the most attentive audience by half way through the first set so memory's are essential to save driving them up the wall.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Back on this trail again..... The Headrush Gigboard and Looperboard have 20 minutes loop memory. Does anybody know how the fx stack up against the opposition, particularly the Helix?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Can't help with your question, but just to follow up on the info I gave you...

I found the looper in the Helix to be too fiddly, so I linked a Boss RC-505 into the Helix. That gives a total of 3 hours recording time, which I will never use, but the interface is much better and 'always on'. I've edited the Helix to give me control of the RC-505 from the Helix pedals.

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:31 am

Thanks Elf, that would work, and I have the RC300 if I decide that's the way to go but a 'one box' solution would be better still.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous