You are here

Another shop gone in London

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Another shop gone in London

Postby Still Vibrations » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Re: Another shop gone in London

Postby BillB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:04 am

That's very sad, but it's not just a London issue. They were Edinburgh-based and, as far as I recall, closed a few branches around the UK in the last year. The website notice suggests that the entire company has gone, not just the London shop.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:05 am

Very sad. I bought some gear from them and they were great. Best shop I've ever dealt with.

Bugger.

:(
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 pm

The Leeds branch closed last year I think (or maybe earlier this year). I thought the Edinburgh one was still going but apparently not.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby wireman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:40 pm

BillB wrote:That's very sad, but it's not just a London issue. They were Edinburgh-based....

I think the Edinburgh shop took over from Sound Control in the same location in the Grassmarket (Sound Control was originally in St Mary's St.), I'm not sure if there was any connection between the two.
wireman
Regular

Postby Steve A » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:49 pm

According to Twitter, it looks like Dawsons have swooped in to save Red Dog Music. Whether they keep the name or all of the premises remains to be seen (although I imagine they will at least want to keep the main Edinburgh store open) but I wish them well. These are not easy times for bricks and mortar hi-tech music retailers and if it keeps my local store open and people in a job then it will get all the support I can give it.
Steve A
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Steve A wrote:According to Twitter, it looks like Dawsons have swooped in to save Red Dog Music.

Well that sounds like good news to me! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby jonathan11 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:39 pm

nice point, Edinburgh shop took over from Sound Control!!
jonathan11

Postby envamt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 am

Ahh, what a shame. Another shop in London bites the dust, its ok I've just got something in my eye... sniff. Are we supposed to morn or rejoice its loss? Nobody here making a comment buys from expensive bricks and mortar music shops anymore anyway... oh yes plectrums and the odd thumb pick and to sniff around and try something out before buying it on-line maybe. Lets face it we are all to blame if blame is the right word. I for one am not that bothered Ebay, Gumtree, Amazon and all the rest do a fine on-line service.
envamt
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:34 am

In the last year I have bought a Behringer Model D (£264), a EH B9 organ pedal (£189), A Tone Dexter Preamp (£450), a Boss RC-3 (£104) and some strings all from bricks and mortar shops. I also tried a Boss Katana 50 amp and Arturia Keystep keyboard but didn't buy them, had I done so would also have been from the same shop I tried them in. I did buy two TC DittoJam X2 loopers and a K&M iPad holder from Thomann too 'cos neither were available locally but I think that's allowable. I always try to support my local shops and am usually happy to pay a premium to do so.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm

blinddrew wrote:The Leeds branch closed last year I think (or maybe earlier this year). I thought the Edinburgh one was still going but apparently not.

Leeds had Production Room, which came from the Sound Control demise, but towards the end it was bought and rebranded by Red Dog, they started selling guitars, and then it closed. This was some months before the other Red Dog branches went.

I miss Production Room, I bought as much there as I could in person, because the staff were friendly, they knew what they were talking about, they made me a cuppa when I wandered in, and I could actually demo things before getting the wallet out.

Sad times.

If the previous mention about Dawson's stepping in is true, that's interesting, as Leeds already has a Dawsons. They really don't cover the same ground though. PR was a good spot for those of us who neither want to be DJs nor hear Smoke on the Water every ten minutes. No disrespect to Dawsons, but the high street's the high street. I guess people just want to pay as little possible for things, which is totally understandable, but there's no substitute for a good physical space to try things and talk to knowledgable and like-minded folk.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby envamt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Shops and shopkeepers did have it mostly all there own way before the internet and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't just a teeny little bit of payback going on. I welcomed on-line shopping when it arrived with both arms partly because I probably looked a bit like a shop lifter back in the day and it was always "Can I help you sir" No just looking " What were looking for" Oh nothing really just browsing. Then seeing something and thinking is that a good price or a rip off then off into the sleet and rain to find a better deal only to find some Nazi has given me a parking ticket...happy days. Not willing to give up my mug of coco and chocolate hobnobs on-line shopping anytime soon.
envamt
Poster

Postby Brian M Rose » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:19 pm

On a more general note, it really depends what you are after. Now 0n this forum, I suspect we have everyone from the hobbyist to professional musicians and engineers.
Now from the 'hobby' point of view, if something goes wrong - well OK, we can work round it. But my background is broadcast television where is something *does* go wrong, it can be very, very expensive. My job (on both sides of a rental and sales desk) was to keep everyone on air.
I soon learned that saving a few pounds can be somewhat expensive, especially in terms of reputation. As a Technical Manager at a rental house, my phone was on 24/7, it just had to be. and a major part of my job was to advise clients about the most effective equipment for any production; both cost as well as technically effective. And this meant that we were winning as lot of new productions as well as being invited back.
And that's why I do like dealing with real dealers. They know their stuff, and will support you. This is certainly now true at our radio station, simply because it actually works.
PLECTRUMS DO NOT A LIVING MAKE.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Brian M Rose » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:20 pm

On a more general note, it really depends what you are after. Now on this forum, I suspect we have everyone from the hobbyist to professional musicians and engineers.
Now from the 'hobby' point of view, if something goes wrong - well OK, we can work round it. But my background is broadcast television where if something *does* go wrong, it can be very, very expensive. My job (on both sides of a rental and sales desk) was to keep everyone on air.
I soon learned that saving a few pounds can be somewhat expensive, especially in terms of reputation. As a Technical Manager at a rental house, my phone was on 24/7, it just had to be. and a major part of my job was to advise clients about the most effective equipment for any production; both cost as well as technically effective. And this meant that we were winning a lot of new productions as well as being invited back.
And that's why I do like dealing with real dealers. They know their stuff, and will support you. This is certainly now true at our radio station, simply because it actually works.
PLECTRUMS DO NOT A LIVING MAKE.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Brian M Rose wrote:PLECTRUMS DO NOT A LIVING MAKE.

I buy all my plectrums online :D

But all good points, having worked down at the grass roots end of the PA hire market I know where you are coming from WRT reliability.

envamt wrote:Shops and shopkeepers did have it mostly all there own way before the internet and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't just a teeny little bit of payback going on.

I worked in MI retail back in the '70s and '80s and I would dispute that statement, shops were going bust back then too because the profit's were relatively slim and there was always somebody round the corner prepared to cut the margin a little further (before going bust themselves the next week owing the distributors a bundle).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:53 pm

And if you get a parking ticket, you only have yourself to blame.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Still Vibrations » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Steve A wrote:According to Twitter, it looks like Dawsons have swooped in to save Red Dog Music. Whether they keep the name or all of the premises remains to be seen (although I imagine they will at least want to keep the main Edinburgh store open) but I wish them well. These are not easy times for bricks and mortar hi-tech music retailers and if it keeps my local store open and people in a job then it will get all the support I can give it.

It's true - no news of the London shop as yet:

https://www.reddogmusic.co.uk
Still Vibrations
Regular
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)

Postby John Egan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:45 pm

At a slight tangent, I notice from their website that Cranes in Cardiff is closing down. I don't live anywhere near but I have browsed their site for years and they always looked to have interesting stock. Good music shops are definitely an endangered species.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular