You are here

Piezo Pickups for unconventional drum kits

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Piezo Pickups for unconventional drum kits

Postby DarylDixon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello everyone,,

I had an idea the other day and I want to ask if anyone has any experience with this tech...

I’m imagining using some kind of MIDI converter (maybe DIY with an Arduino?) to attach some regular old piezos to...well kind of whatever. A glove or a bass guitar are my first thoughts. So, would it be possible to set up maybe 5 pick ups and have them trigger drum sounds via midi like a little drum machine??

Any insight into this would be awesome thanks guys
DarylDixon

Re: Piezo Pickups for unconventional drum kits

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:12 pm

You need one of these

https://www.thejamma.com
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Don't be mean, you know they're unobtainable... :tongue:

Saw this monstrosity on eBay the other day; looks like some early ancestor of the Zendrum.

Back in the day I messed around triggering drum samples with piezos on an Akai S3000 via a trigger-to-MIDI converter; an ancient Akai ME35T, although a modern equivalent like the Roland TMC would work just as well. Back when Dynacord Jamma inventor Pete Jones was on the forum asking about ways to bring the thing up to date, the Megadrum was also floated as an alternative.

These days, though, something based around Arduino would be far cheaper. There are probably some templates floating around on Hackaday.

Cliphit and Mogees might also be of interest.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DarylDixon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 pm

DarylDixon wrote:Hello everyone,,

I had an idea the other day and I want to ask if anyone has any experience with this tech...

I’m imagining using some kind of MIDI converter (maybe DIY with an Arduino?) to attach some regular old piezos to...well GoToMeeting IrfanView Town of Salem kind of whatever. A glove or a bass guitar are my first thoughts. So, would it be possible to set up maybe 5 pick ups and have them trigger drum sounds via midi like a little drum machine??

Any insight into this would be awesome thanks guys
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you my issue has been solved.....
DarylDixon

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:10 pm

DarylDixon wrote:Thank you my issue has been solved.....

Hi Daryl,

That's excellent news, but please do let us know what your solution was, as it may help others who want do something similar.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Reddit, Martin. It's the answer to everything. Well, most things.

* Note to self, remember to Google questions from newbies. I'll be replying to Spambots next. :beamup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:27 am

Oh how sad - it was just a splatter request to all and sundry around multiple forums, and not a new person wanting to join in the SOS community and take part :(

Martin
Martin Walker