You are here

Recommend midi keyboard around £300

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recommend midi keyboard around £300

Postby Dan LB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Found this on the Roland site, quite a dig as Fold said. So you can switch the A49 to Class compliant:

Normally you will install a Roland driver on your computer to use the A-49 keyboard, but if there is not a driver available, or if you are connecting to a device that does not allow drivers to be installed (such as an iOS device), you can change the USB Driver Setting to "Generic." This will allow the A-49 to use the built-in USB driver in the computer (such as Core MIDI) instead of requiring a Roland driver to be installed. This mode is also called "Class Compliant."

Beat me to it - you replied as I was editing my post above for the second time :headbang:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Anyway like I said, the main drawback for me was the pitch / mod lever (well the mod part of it anyway!) so I sold it on.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:47 pm

I've never used a spring loaded mod wheel but does it make much difference either way? You can always map the modulation to the D Beam or whatever it's called too, as far as I can see. Mind you, never used one of those either!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9 percent of what people hear. It doesn't matter what mic you use or what reverb you use or all that stuff"- John Leckie

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

Postby Wonks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 pm

I have. The moment you move your hand away the modulation (or any effect mapped) goes back to zero. So if you want to set a modulation level and leave it there, then this isn't the keyboard for you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 am

I'm a guitarist not a keyboard player but I don't like the Roland joystick (or the even crappier joystick on my cheapo Alto 25 note midi keyboard). The pitch and mod wheels on my current Roland A90 and the Mini Moog I messed around with when I worked in MI retail are/were great, they just do what is required, the touch pads on the Arturia KeyStep I had briefly were excellent too (but I hated the mini keys), I wish Alesis (or somebody) did a 37 or 44 note version of the Q49 with full sized keys, a DIN midi output, USB and mod/pitch wheels (or touch pads). 25 keys is not enough to 'play' anything and 49 keys is, for me, pointless as I already have a Juno-D with 61 keys.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am

I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Roland bender lever. In some instances it's perfect - especially for wild solos and some sync-lead fireworks, but much of the time it's simply a PITA.

Happily I have a selection of both here, but I couldn't live with a Roland bender alone.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Hmmm, the combo of potential driver issues and mod lever frustration issues are putting me off the Roland, have to say. :? Maybe the M Audio is the way to go and damn the expression pedal? Although people do seem to rave about the keyboard feel of the Roland and some even take the spring out of the lever so it works like a normal wheel!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9 percent of what people hear. It doesn't matter what mic you use or what reverb you use or all that stuff"- John Leckie

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

My Roland Juno-D keyboard feels much nicer than the one on my Alto 25 note keyboard even with my minimal keyboard chops.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Talk about a lather of indecision. I'll have to find a shop (remember them?) that stocks both and give em a go.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Aaaaaaaaargh, me too............ :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 pm

So, decided on the M Audio. Will report back when it arrives and plugged in. Thanks for all the excellent input. :D
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:So, decided on the M Audio. Will report back when it arrives and plugged in. Thanks for all the excellent input. :D

:thumbup:

Several times I've found spawning a thread to 'think aloud' about something often yields useful results, even if through the lifetime of that thread you end up shifting your requirements a little bit with a nudge here and there from various posters.

There's a lot to be said for a group conversation. The same goes for creating music, I suppose - the trick being to find the right group to do it with ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 pm

And if it all goes pear shaped you've got somebody else to blame!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:And if it all goes pear shaped you've got somebody else to blame!
Whoah there! I put a disclaimer in and everything! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Very pleased with the M Audio. A 'does exactly what it says on the tin' sort of product. Worked fine straight out of the box, seems well made and the keys are nice to play. Also they don't rattle like many cheap keyboard keys do. The octave switching has a good feature, the colour of the light above the up and down switches change colour depending on how far you are from 'home' which is useful.

The only tiny niggle, for the sake of completeness, and it is really tiny is that the keyboard sags very very slightly in the middle under heavy playing. This is cured currently with a thin pad of post it notes. What do you expect for £76 including postage?

What you perhaps don't expect for that amount is a load of excellent free software bundled in. This includes, amongst others, an XLN Addictive Grand Piano (£89 to buy on their site) another grand piano and an electric piano from Air (which is excellent, with 70 very usable presets). I can't get the mini grand to work, currently, but gifthorses, mouths etc.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:What you perhaps don't expect for that amount is a load of excellent free software bundled in. This includes, amongst others, an XLN Addictive Grand Piano (£89 to buy on their site) another grand piano and an electric piano from Air (which is excellent, with 70 very usable presets). I can't get the mini grand to work, currently, but gifthorses, mouths etc.
That was actually one of the reasons I chose it. I've been very happy with the bundled piano and the synth. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm

DId you get the Air Mini Grand piano? Can't get it to work at all. Interface loads fine but just goes Clunk when you press a note. THe component is there and all authorised afaics but just clunk. :(
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Nope, I got the Xpand2 synth but the main piano plugin was Sonivox EightyEight. They've obviously changed their software pack.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Finally got the AIR piano going, needed a software update. I've got pianos coming out of my ears now!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext