You are here

Help choosing mixer to avoid loop

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Help choosing mixer to avoid loop

Postby luckyluca » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm not familiar with mixers, and I'm toying with the idea of getting the Behringer q802usb.

Do you know whether it would allow for a subset of the stereo inputs to go out from the mixer to a recording device without causing a loop?
he's the problem:
one of the two keyboards is also the recorder device. So I would want all mixer inputs playing from the speakers, and all inputs minus the keyboard itself fed into its own linein for recording.

Here's my setup:
-stereo synth to mixer
-stereo keyboard to mixer
-stereo smartphone to mixer
-mixer to speakers ( all signals)
-mixer to keyboard lineins for recording ( all minus keyboard's own signal )

how can I handle this without creating a loop? Does this sound feasible somehow?

Many thanks
luckyluca

Re: Help choosing mixer to avoid loop

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That mixer doesn't seem to allow you to send a signal to the control room outputs as well as the main outputs so I don't think it will work.

What exactly are your synths/keyboards? I suspect it would need to be routed inside the recording keyboard but without a block diagram it's hard to guess.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Help choosing mixer to avoid loop

Postby luckyluca » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Many thanks, here's my equipment:
-nord lead a1 (2x 1/4 unbalanced line-out)
-kawai mp7se (2x 1/4 unbalanced line-out, 2x 1/4 unbalanced line-in), line-in and line-out are merged and sent to the internal usb .wav recorder
-smartphone with 3.5mm output and 3.5mm to 1/4 Y splitter resulting in 2x 1/4 outs

I'm planning to connect the nord lead a1, mp7se and smartphone to a mixer and the mixer out to my speakers as well as headphones. If I could connect a second mix without the mp7se output in order to avoid a loop) back to the mp7se line-in for recording it would be grand.

Also, somebody on another forum just replied with this configuration suggesting it might work, although I suppose I can't achieve a keyboard out minus the line-in whilst recording as he's suggesting:
nord lead a1 > 3/4
Smartphone > 5/6
Keyboard out (minus the input of the keyboard) > 2 - track in
Keyboard in < Ctrl room out
Speakers - main out
Switch 2-track, to main on, to Ctrl room off.
luckyluca