You are here

32 Analogue Line Channels In and Out of PC

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: 32 Analogue Line Channels In and Out of PC

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 am

60-70 analogue inputs? That's a hell of a project studio Kevin...... :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:07 am

@Sam - it'a a project studio room with about 30 hardware syntheizers and 10 outboard effects processors, and no mixer. The objective is to have all instruments linked to a DAW environment, outboard effects usable for both live tracking / hardware monitoring and also usable in a DAW environment; and never have to do any patching.

While the MOTU system I'm putting in place supposedly can cope with hundreds of Audio tracks, I need about 70 inputs - but of course only a small fraction of those will be used / live at any one moment so I don't expect to stress this environment to the limit.

I've sent bucket loads of pre-sales technical questions to MOTU and they have been very helpful with answers - I know you might expect that given they are"pre-sales" questions but their technical replies are detailed and forthright.

I'm being really slow about this because I want to get it right - I'm spending perhaps 5 -7 grand on interfacing alone so I can't afford to get this wrong. While others have suggested other solutions - particularly around MADI and RME, no alternative solution presented seems to offer the same flexibility as MOTU AVB; and ideally I'd like to talk with another project studio with a similar number of hardware synthesizers using MOTU AVB technology. Technically it all seems robust but - finding a large setup using such interfacing has proved elusive - most people are ditching their large hardware setups these days while I'm looking to bring a large setup to the next level with these kinds of characteristics:

- Hardware / software combined environment

- Hardware controllers such a Push2 and BSP

- MIDI controllers: Roli Seaboad, QuNexus, WX7 wind control, ...

- Hardware vocal processing though V-Synth GT, VP330 and OASYS (it's vocoder is excellent - perhaps '1 step' below Roland Vocal Design in capability)

- CV / MIDI capabilities (some example - CS40M+CS30; Minimoog (reissue) + Subsequent 37, ...

- Spatialisation using IRCAM Spat and FLUX Spat-Revolution

- Excellent hardware effects such as Dimension-D, PCM91, Reverb4000, ...

So it's a big and ambitious project - and central to it's success is a large number of physical inputs and outputs to the computer. If you were to look over my posts here you'd see I've been years at it (I have a 2nd project studio room in my home not affected by all of this) - but I'm getting close to making the decision to purchase the MOTU Audio (and MIDI) interfacing. Then comes the task of putting this all together! If I can pull it off, it will surely enable some very exciting sonic and compositional possibilities...
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am

Well..... Wow! just wow! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I suspect I'm not the only one who would like to see pics when it's all up and running, and to hear some of the results :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 am

Agreed - I'd be very interested to see the outcome as well! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 am

I have a similar thirst for I/O. The key to it all, for me, is TotalMix - it pulls everything together in a meaningful way, delivering signals where they need to be and pulling in external processors as I need them. If I use a specific configuration often then I have it at a single click. When you're dealing with a couple of hundred inputs and outputs this becomes important.

I was a bit peeved when, after looking briefly at a (non-RME = non-TotalMix) Dante-based system and committing to MADI, RME two weeks later released a Dante interface that would support TotalMix. The impression I'm getting is that Dante is gathering support. Given my time again I think that's the way I would go.

Check what equivalent to TotalMix MOTU offer - it will become very important when things get complex.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous