You are here

Hello! How can I contact Admin?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Hello! How can I contact Admin?

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:08 pm

It's not really about clicks, in the main (they are a bonus).

It's mostly about search visibility - if they can get links to their site on an existing, well-ranked site (such as SOS), then it bumps their own sites up in the rankings.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Ah, yes, embed your own links, of course that too!

One has to wonder about the wisdom of an opening gambit likely to attract the immediate attention of the Admin user though :?
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

What easier way than to get onto a forum for a subject that you know nothing about, than by asking a question that has been asked before but some time ago?

On less well moderated or less well used forums, it may well succeed.

In this case though they copied a post they (or someone similar) had used before but the previous time they had added a link in their first post (which was removed by the mods before appearing on the forum pages), so it rather stood out in people's memories.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Yes, we get a lot of newbie member cut 'n' paste historic posts either from here or other forums -- harmony central has featured a lot recently, for some weird reason. Most are easy to spot and get removed before any of you see them. But the majority are far more obvious and blatant -- much like the one above. ;-)

Thankfully, our moderation queue system for newbies means that even if the first one is let through, the chances are the follow ups won't make it... And even if they do, our sharp-eyed forum members are brilliant at spotting and reporting them which means this is a much cleaner forum than some. :-D

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm

There is a theory that a lot of the more stupid spams are deliberately written that way because anybody who falls for one should be themselves pretty stupid and thus easy meat for the spammer to take to the cleaners. Clearly poor strategy on this forum ;)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:There is a theory that a lot of the more stupid spams are deliberately written that way because anybody who falls for one should be themselves pretty stupid and thus easy meat for the spammer to take to the cleaners.

Guess that means I'll never be a mod here with my level of intelligence! ;)
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm

garrettendi wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:There is a theory that a lot of the more stupid spams are deliberately written that way because anybody who falls for one should be themselves pretty stupid and thus easy meat for the spammer to take to the cleaners.

Guess that means I'll never be a mod here with my level of intelligence! ;)

With all those Nigerian millions coming your way, you really don't need to be that clever. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Clearly poor strategy? Wait - Aren’t there musicians on here .... (ducks for cover!) :headbang:
All jokes aside - I knew a guy, an intelligent sane guy, whom the Nigerians managed to get not one but a number of payments out of. (He wasn’t a musician either). Perhaps he was too trusting and really wanted to help the poor person trying to get those millions of dollars out of that country. Still scratching my head about him.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Wonks wrote:With all those Nigerian millions coming your way, you really don't need to be that clever. ;)

I'm still waiting for his check to clear and then I'll finally have that solid gold mixing desk
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 pm

He might have a cashflow problem because he's sending me $3.2million US too, just as soon as he gets my email with my bank accounts details... Seem's like a really nice reliable guy though. :o
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Another thought - So here in Canada in tvland the broadcaster guarantees an advertiser xxx many eyeballs per broadcast time segment. It must be similar for number of clicks at a website which could justify all the spambots carrying links.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:He might have a cashflow problem because he's sending me $3.2million US too, just as soon as he gets my email with my bank accounts details... Seem's like a really nice reliable guy though. :o

You guys can relax as my Nigerian friend just sent me all your contact info so I’ll pass it on!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks MfG! :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:45 pm

I guess one clue was the original posters name was "lacaca" which I parsed as either "I a caca", or "la caca", either way he was right.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 pm

See? Now I’m learning Spanish. Love this place :) :)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous