You are here

Strange noises from microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Strange noises from microphone

Postby Ramirez » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Well, it took me over a year to do anything about this...

Audio-Technica had a look and came back with a quote for a replacement capsule... almost £400!

For that money, I think I’d rather spend the extra £150 and get a new one, and keep the old one as it is as it seemed fine when not breathed on!

Would it be perhaps worth contacting Studiocare or the like to see if they could have a go at cleaning the capsule, or does the fact that AT suggested a complete capsule replacement suggest that it really is buggered?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Janneman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Ramirez » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 am

Thanks Janneman, I may well contact them. I do wonder however that there must be a good reason AT quoted for a replacement capsule rather than a cleaning job.

Interesting video... I may try it on the Studio Projects mic, but I’m not risking the Audio-Technica!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 am

Ramirez wrote:I do wonder however that there must be a good reason AT quoted for a replacement capsule rather than a cleaning job.

It may well be that Audio-Technica can't guarantee a result by cleaning and will opt to play safe. They know the replacement capsule will get your mic back to 'as new' performance every time. That doesn't mean that cleaning won't work, just that it involves more risk of damage or failure than the certainty of success a new component gives.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 am

My experience of moisture in the mic’ is more a random frying sound on top of the wanted audio.
That was with detachable capsules on an AKG 451, a squirt of alcohol on the contact points usually solved it, I never heard what was on your audio file, perhaps that’s what happens in extremis.
MOF
Regular