You are here

Current DIY Acoustic Panel Design?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Current DIY Acoustic Panel Design?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Watchmaker wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Robert is your mother's brother.
:lol: dude...
Yeah, I think I might overuse that expression a bit...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mick C » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 am

I’ve used GIK and found the quality very good and the service 1st class. I’m fully capable at DIY but finding the time is my enemy so I decided to buy and don’t regret it, though I appreciate it’s not a choice available to all.
If you decide the DIY route then Homebase sell rolls of plant netting that’s good for the rear of the panels - totally permeable and available in black or white (and useful when you want to cover an extra slab of rockwool on your ceiling panel)!
Rockwool RW3 has been rebranded to Porox SL something or other (SL990 I think, cant remember for sure but just google it) and it’s been out of stock in most places for months, so it might be worth you looking up the Knauf equivalent at 60kg/m3. Actually I think you can buy it from GIK under the DIY section of their website, along with the Cara fabric (and Lucia fabric which is a bit spanglier, and they’ll send you a set of fabric colour swatches too).
Mick C
Regular
Mick

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm

These days I more often Buy stuff from EQ acoustics , both for clients and for my own use..

if I charge myself anything at all for my time, (which isn;t as daft as it sounds, especially now I have a day Job , and limited free time , and hands that are disinclined to do manual labour , after surgery to fix them ) then the EQ panels are cheaper. and look ** almost** as good as mine ;)

they also have some unique (NOT ROCKWOOL) core material that has some nice advantages....

(It's a recycled spun/woven/matted polyester , fire rated and capable of all sorts of excellent uses.... and some very artful finishes, and a lot less framing requirement )

EQ are also the people who supply a lot of Thomann's panels , (and foam) ....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote:... then the EQ panels are cheaper. and look ** almost** as good as mine ;)

But never quite, one suspects. I do hope your hands are recovering/have recovered well from being interfered with Max. They are quite remarkable assets.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby DanDan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm

DanDan
Poster

Postby Jez Corbett » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Argh,

So after much back and forth sourcing all the materials I need and discussing plans with my carpenter, we've come up with a total panel cost of ... well, multiples of what GIK charge.

No problem, I'll just order from GIK and get them shipped to Finland ... oh, those shipping costs ...wow. Might call them to see if this is accurate!

The EQ Acoustic panels available from Thomann are tempting - but the available colours, argh. So are they a step up from the standard rockwool panel?

Thanks for the info on the updates to rockwool btw, I was indeed having some real trouble working out what I need as it's all under different names here in Finland.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 am

A carpenter? I thought this was a DIY thread :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jez Corbett » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am

Sam Spoons wrote:A carpenter? I thought this was a DIY thread :D

I am doing it myself! I'll be telling him what to do personally ;)
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:31 am

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Jez Corbett wrote:Hmm ... are the GIK bass traps basically the same as homebrew panels, or something different?

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/gik- ... echnology/

At these prices, it might be hard to justify getting them made myself.

I'm crap at DIY and after attempting to build one bass trap myself, I gave up and bought a goodly number of GiK corner traps and monster traps. Does the job nicely and haven't regretted my decision. The only annoying thing is that their GiK Acoustics stick-on plastic logo emblem falls off the cloud panels I have onto my hair, and I don't notice until in the shower next morning! :D
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,911 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Previous