You are here

Logic Pro X. Can you just scan a single new AU plugin?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X. Can you just scan a single new AU plugin?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Just downloaded a couple of new AU instruments from AIR but although I seem to have authorised them, they don't appear in Logic's plug in manager. The actual AU Components are in the components folder with all my other plugs though. The plugin help site says you should delete the components cache then rescan. But this means I have to rescan ALL my existing plugins and then go through the whole palaver of switching them on and off etc in the Plug in Manager.

So is it possible for Logic to just scan a single new plugin somehow?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Logic Pro X. Can you just scan a single new AU plugin?

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Before doing anything, restart your machine, and see if they show up now.

The behaviour of later OSX versions (HS onwards) means you often need a restart before a new plugin will show up.

Try that, and if they still don't show, post back and I'll help...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Cheers, D, I'll give it a go.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Also, when you start Logic after installing a new plugin, you'll see that it will validate the plugin on launch, so you get a kind of visual comfirmation that Logic's found a new plugin.

If you install a plugin, start Logic, and don't see it doing a plugin validation procedure the first time, reboot and try again. If it's still not showing up, check out another app that uses AU plugins (say, the excellent and free HostingAU) and see if it shows up there.

If nothing else, you can trash the AU cache and re-validate all your plugins, but this is a bit of a last resort as it can be quite a lengthy hassle, depending on the plugins on your system...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 am

Yep, restarting worked, although one of the plugins only gives me a sort of thunk noise for each note even though the GUI seems fine. Hey ho.

Yes, it was the long-winded full rescan I wanted to avoid, it's a total and utter pain if you've got a lot of plugs, as I have, to trash the cache etc. Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 pm

So the problem with the AIR plugin seems to be that Logic can't find the actual samples. I opened Garageband to see if it worked there, and GB asked me to locate the samples folder manually. WHich I did, and it worked. But LPX hasn't prompted me to locate the samples or anything similar. Is there any way to ask it to do this? The instrument interface has no option for this.

EDIT: Just did some searching and seems to be a very common issue with this plugin, and one that the makers are not really addressing. Ah well, it WAS free so can happily live without it.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:So the problem with the AIR plugin seems to be that Logic can't find the actual samples. I opened Garageband to see if it worked there, and GB asked me to locate the samples folder manually. WHich I did, and it worked. But LPX hasn't prompted me to locate the samples or anything similar. Is there any way to ask it to do this? The instrument interface has no option for this.

How the plugin works has nothing at all to do with Logic.

What plugin is it? What does it's installation manual say about the position of it's content?

I would have thought that if you have to choose a sample path for it's own content, it will remember that, so if you've done that (regardless of the host you did it in) it would work the same for all hosts.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Yes, you'd have thought so but see my edit above. Seems to be an issue in both Logic and Pro Tools for lots of people so I'm sort of mentally writing it off as it was just part of a free bundle.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:52 pm

What plugin is it?

I have Xpand2, Hybrid2 and Vacuum in Logic working without problems...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Mini Grand. Now sorted. I called UK support who didn't have any ideas and suggested I email the US support team who, impressively, replied immediately and pointed me to an update to download. Downloaded it and it's now working. Amazing the UK team didn't know about this issue/solution as it's clearly not a rare one despite what they said. Anyway, all's well etc, thanks D.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Not only that, as the presets disappeared with the update (which I rescued by opening the original DMG and fishing them out) and the US support chap was clearly a bit peeved with the UK not doing their job for me etc, he gave me a free choice of plugin up to $100!! How about that for customer service above and beyond? Seriously impressed. Got the the Boom drum machine.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BobTheDog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 pm

Actually for recent OSXs not picking up the AU after install you just need to log out and back in, a full reboot is not required.

Interestingly this is only required for 64 bit plugins, 32 bit ones don't suffer from this new "feature".
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 pm

I’ll try that next time, cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)