You are here

Creative mixing....

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Creative mixing....

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm

The Elf wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:I thought The Elf was creating a mega-reverb from three or four different reverb plug-ins to achieve the effect he was after (sort of like assembling a church reverb by adding together those of a nave, a couple of side aisles and so on
Sometimes I am!

Often I'll have a plate, a hall and a delay (also feeding the hall) on a vocal, for example. I don't generally feed one reverb into another, but I wouldn't rule it out. I rule nothing out! :lol:

Thanks for clarifying - so your parallel mega-reverbs are largely used en masse, or do you send different tracks to different 'parts' of the mega-reverb? I'm looking forward to trying this technique out :thumbup:

Oh, and I know Zukan DOES create some of his reverbs as a serial chain - I remember reading one of his excellent video tutorials about this process (I'll post a link if I can find it again)

Here it is: https://www.samplecraze.com/tutorials/wrapping-reverbs/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Martin Walker wrote:your parallel mega-reverbs are largely used en masse, or do you send different tracks to different 'parts' of the mega-reverb?
Both. Sometimes a wailing guitar might need to be pushed way off to the back of the mix, whilst a vocal needs to bounce off that back wall, but seem to be right in front of our faces. In both cases it's the same reverbs, but different balances (and pre-delays) of them.

In this example the guitar would have more hall, the vocal more plate.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm

In Neil Young's case, more barn.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Martin Walker wrote:If you're saying you don't really hear this in the mix other than its glue-ing effect then presumably it's at an almost subliminal low level? Never tried this approach myself.

It really depends on the reverb and the track. I don't default to using reverb as "glue" but sometimes things recorded in a dry studio environment just benefit from a bit of life and sparkle, and if you use a really short ambience patch, or even just switch on the early reflections and disable the rest of the reverb, you can add quite a lot of this without it sounding "wet" as such.

In fact, if you take this to extremes, a reverb of almost zero duration is in effect an EQ, which is why you can use an impulse response plug-in to do EQ or reverb.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm

I was messing about the other day and did the old 80s trick of a close harmony 'drone' utterly downed in long, deep reverb. Lovely. Kate Bush would be proud of me.

Years ago, I used to do the same thing with a Cheetah MS6 and swamp a soft pad sound in a mass of reverb rather than try and widen it with chorus. Cheap reverb too iirc (Yamaha R100). Sounded great to me - must try it again and see if it's just a rose tinted memory or the truth...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I don't default to using reverb as "glue" but sometimes things recorded in a dry studio environment just benefit from a bit of life and sparkle, and if you use a really short ambience patch, or even just switch on the early reflections and disable the rest of the reverb, you can add quite a lot of this without it sounding "wet" as such.

In fact, if you take this to extremes, a reverb of almost zero duration is in effect an EQ, which is why you can use an impulse response plug-in to do EQ or reverb.

Aha - so your glue tends to be early reflections or even a comb response at extremes. This makes a lot more sense than a 'reverb tail' - you're effectively putting up a few virtual walls nearby your performers, to place them within a space, albeit a fragmentary one.

Makes perfect sense!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 am

Using delay instead of reverb is nothing new but I am finding I am using it more and more to extend the sustain and release components of audio. Works great on vocals that need a trail.
Zukan

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 am

The stairwell in our flats has a wonderful reverb but unfortunately I don't have a battery powered device to play back the sound - it is too far away to use an extension cable.

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 am

Still Vibrations wrote:The stairwell in our flats has a wonderful reverb but unfortunately I don't have a battery powered device to play back the sound - it is too far away to use an extension cable.

This is what this community is for. Ask and ye shall be given.
Zukan

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am

Zukan wrote:
Still Vibrations wrote:The stairwell in our flats has a wonderful reverb but unfortunately I don't have a battery powered device to play back the sound - it is too far away to use an extension cable.

This is what this community is for. Ask and ye shall be given.

Hi Zukan, is there a battery operated playback device so that I can use the stairwell for creative mixing? I already have portable recording equipment.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am

I've got one of those battery powered PA things that you'd be welcome to borrow if you're in't north?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 am

Many thanks for the offer Blinddrew but I live a long way south from you.
And a good playback system like the the Bose S1 is a bit over the top for the amount of use it would get.

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:31 am

There are many cheap portable re-chargeable speakers for phones and mp3 players which will give a good, if not 100% accurate, playback sound. This sort of thing:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTB55WH/ref=asc_df_B01MTB55WH58090846/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B01MTB55WH&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310879851560&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13446042017036254584&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006552&hvtargid=pla-359911951091

Something you might even use at home as well!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pm

On further consideration, if I was doing this, I'd probably plug something into my THR10. A little Roland cube type thing might do the job if you know anyone who has one you could borrow?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:if you use a really short ambience patch, or even just switch on the early reflections and disable the rest of the reverb, you can add quite a lot of this without it sounding "wet" as such.
Thanks for this suggestion Sam, I've got something in progress at the moment that might well benefit from a splash of this at one point. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext