You are here

MIDI 2.0!?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: MIDI 2.0!?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 am

The MIDI 2.0 initiative updates MIDI with auto-configuration, new DAW/web integrations, extended resolution, increased expressiveness, and tighter timing

I'm torn. On paper, some of those things look useful but the optimistic cynic in me hopes that they don't mess up a really solid protocol with decades of implementation under its belt and cause chaos as questionable support emerges on new hardware.

Not so sure about the DAW/Web integrations part either - that sounds like an unstable recipe.

That said, if it's backwards compatible... though I for one would be rather sorry to see the DINs go - I wonder if they'll adopt USB or something like it as 'the' physical interface.

Still, we'll see... ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 am

Great news!, It's a shame its taken so long!!

I can't help thinking this should have been happened 15 years ago!

Eddy Deegan wrote:Not so sure about the DAW/Web integrations part either - that sounds like an unstable recipe.

I think computer compatibility is vital as many musicians work mostly ITB

Eddy Deegan wrote:I for one would be rather sorry to see the DINs go - I wonder if they'll adopt USB or something like it as 'the' physical interface.

Still, we'll see... ;)

Basing MIDI 2,0 on USB is a great suggestion and IMHO would be a very clever move !
Standard USB A-B cables are cheap, compact, reasonably strong and might remove the need for dedicated MIDI interfaces ?
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 am

How will it work without a host computer, USB/A to USB/A cables (which are rare as hens teeth)? Or would every device have USB/A and USB/B connectors?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Folderol » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

Hmmm,
Cautiously optimistic. The MMA have been very good 'gatekeepers' so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

I tend to regard USB connectivity with some reservation. It has been notoriously flaky (although it's getting better) and represents a colossal processing overhead - not exactly what you want it time-critical systems!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am

USB seems, to me, to be the worst option. Time for MIDI to embrace the network, I'd say. As long as it does this then whatever network connection hardware (wired or wireless) arrives in the future, MIDI should happily tag long.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby wireman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:wonder if they'll adopt USB or something like it as 'the' physical interface.

Not thought about it much but how about a choice of protocols using UTP RJ45 sockets
There would be two variants, serial and Ethernet / TCP/IP defined by the standard.
wireman
Regular

Postby Folderol » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm

wireman wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:wonder if they'll adopt USB or something like it as 'the' physical interface.

Not thought about it much but how about a choice of protocols using UTP RJ45 sockets
There would be two variants, serial and Ethernet / TCP/IP defined by the standard.

You don't want TCP!
It guarantees that all packets will be delivered, but not when, nor what order - this could make for an 'interesting' performance :lol:
{Eric Morcambe}
"I'm playing all the right notes. Not necessarily in the right order"
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Folderol wrote:
wireman wrote:

You don't want TCP!
It guarantees that all packets will be delivered, but not when, nor what order - this could make for an 'interesting' performance :lol:
{Eric Morcambe}
"I'm playing all the right notes. Not necessarily in the right order"

Like I said, I have not thought about it. Modern switched fabrics are pretty reliable and you would think that the packet rate is fast enough nowadays that TCP with any reordering/retransmission should work for MIDI without requiring some sort of real time solution (and these do exist).
wireman
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:27 pm

Great! I look forward to reading a new SOS article all about MIDI - just like the good old days of the 80s..! ;) :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Excellent, all this time not learning midi has been the right approach as I'll be able to learn about midi2.0 from scratch. :thumbup:

Alternatively they'll now be twice as much midi that I don't understand. :thumbdown:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Hate to upset you BD, but it's the latter.
Having watched a vid. on the matter, it seems the MMA have indeed done their homework, and the new system will be completely backward compatible.
P.S.
It is here

Also, it will be transport agnostic, so DIN, ETHERNET, USB whatever you like - although guy did point out the latency issues with Blutooth and wireless.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Yeah, I thought that was going to be the case. So much to learn, so little time.

Because so much time is wasted on here.... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm

That is a fascinating video Folderol.

Just reminds you what we're capable of when people work together.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Folderol wrote:Also, it will be transport agnostic, so DIN, ETHERNET, USB whatever you like
JUST the way it should be. Sounds like a very good start.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 pm

All very encouraging!

I think my initial reservations were broadly based around the feeling that MIDI 1.0 is one of the most 'wholesome' technical innovations around, and if they can do anything like as good a job with 2.0 then I'll be a happy bunny.

The transition period should be interesting ...!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 am

Too late and I am too knrd to read the links but to my mind there is only one logical connector for "new MIDI" ? The RJ45.
The cables are cheap and you can get them at Rock Botton type shops. Almost certainly well below CAT5e spec but easily good enough for this application. Patch bays can be very compact and wired with an IDC tool.

TRS is an audio connector (as was DIN) RJ45 IS data.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 am

ef37a wrote:Too late and I am too knrd to read the links but to my mind there is only one logical connector for "new MIDI" ? The RJ45.
The cables are cheap and you can get them at Rock Botton type shops. Almost certainly well below CAT5e spec but easily good enough for this application. Patch bays can be very compact and wired with an IDC tool.

TRS is an audio connector (as was DIN) RJ45 IS data.

Dave.

Well, if it's physical link independent then it's up to the manufacturers of course. I would expect they'll standardise on something.

STP ethernet cables are great from a cabling point of view, and RJ45 is a compact and efficient connector but I'm not a fan of the RJ45 in many implementations because I've encountered a number of circumstances where a slightly dodgy plug (or more specifically, the little plastic lever you press to release it) causes no end of problems trying to extract the connector from the socket, and also if you trip over a cable terminated with a plugged-in RJ45 you can be in for a world of hurt trying to decouple it afterwards.

We need better RJ45 terminators basically. Maybe Neutrik or someone could come up with something a little more robust than the injection-moulded levers on conventional CAT-x cables if STP is adopted widely for MIDI 2.0!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Eddy, one of those situations I think where, to misquote Flog It, "quality matters".

In my last "proper" job I was responsible for building test beds for CATx modules and these had thousands of RJ45S plugged in and out of them weekly. Jammed plugs were very rare but then these were good quality plugs fitted with an AMP crimp tool. Often the even more rugged shielded plug.

If you do get a jam the latch can be released with a small screwey, about 2mm AF. The jacks are a "blind" hole there so no danger of electrical zapping.

There has always been a sprinkling of posts re dodgy connectors. I had some XLR 3's jam really well..Who said "There is very little in this world that cannot be made a little cheaper and a little worse"?

Just a thought. Where you have an expensive bit of kit it is worth making up "sacrificial" stubs so the onboard connectors never get strained. I did this at Blackstar for the AP test rig. Even relativley cheap kit like a cable tester wil benefit because it is a PITA if the sockets break.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 am

I never had a problem with the 5-pin DIN, but why on earth didn't they utilise all five connections so we didn't have to use two cables all the time? MIDI in on the inner pins and out on the outer pins, for example. That always seemed like a missed opportunity to me...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next