You are here

XLR to Audio Interface or 1/4"?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

XLR to Audio Interface or 1/4"?

Postby ikKna » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:24 am

I need to set-up an XLR mic to my pioneer DDJ-RB. Should I buy an audio interface and wire that into the mic input on the cdj? or will an XLR to 1/4" jack have enough power for the mic (mic is a shure SM58 btw)

I have my cdj connected to a laptop with one usb port so space is limited. Thanks for any help!
ikKna

Re: XLR to Audio Interface or 1/4"?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 pm

ikKna wrote:I need to set-up an XLR mic to my pioneer DDJ-RB. Should I buy an audio interface and wire that into the mic input on the cdj? or will an XLR to 1/4" jack have enough power for the mic (mic is a shure SM58 btw)

I'm struggling to find any useful technical data on the DDJ-RB, but it appears that the mic input socket on that device is an unbalanced TS plug probably intended for the old-fashioned idea of 'high-impedance' dynamic mics.

An XLR to TS 1/4-inch jack cable is exactly what you need -- you certainly don't need a computer style interface.

However, the SM58 has a pretty low output level and isn't intended to drive a high-impedance input like this directly. Consequently, you may struggle to get enough level from the mic, even with the rear panel gain control turned right up.

If that's the case, the solution is to invest in a mic transformer like the Shure A85F which will boost the signal level by around 24dB. It will cost around $20/£25. It's an entirely passive device, so needs no power and is designed specifically for this kind of application. Note: you'll also need an XLR-XLR cable to connect the mic to the transformer.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/microphones/microphone-problem-solvers/a85f-line-matching-transformer

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dan LB » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Audix also make one that has a short 'tail' - the T-50 K. I find this puts less strain on the jack socket.

https://audixusa.com/docs_12/units/T50k.shtml

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Definitely a good idea but if that is too expensive then a short TSF to TSM jack lead would do the (essential IMHO) stress relief duty.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Dan LB wrote:Audix also make one that has a short 'tail' - the T-50 K. I find this puts less strain on the jack socket.

Good call -- wasn't aware of that one. I agree that it's a much better option as far as the jack socket is concerned.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound