You are here

Using TV as pc Monitor to watch videos

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Using TV as pc Monitor to watch videos

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Mike, a few months ago I was having all sorts of problems with monitors and such but mine were the other way around. I wanted to feed a PC monitors with PAL i from a DVD player. I had 3, rather elderly monitors around but none would work. I bought various adaptors but no joy.

Have you got the PC setup for an external screen? Press the Windows key +P and you get the options. You might have to delve into the setup menus to make sure the VGA port is activated.

I presently have two TVs fed from computers. My living room TV is a 42" JVC and is fed VGA from a desktop. I sit about 1.5mtrs from the TV and the PC is pin sharp to me.

In another room I have a 22 Bush FSTV on VGA from a DTp. I have also used HDMI from this HP I3 laptop. The Bush was £40.00 from the Scope shop. Charity shops are a great source of tellies! I had to get an RC from 'Zon but no biggy. Mostly they have the remotes. Unless you are a gamer, FSTVs should give you all the quality and resolution you need.

Tip, try rebooting the telly if it does not immediately show a picture. I hooked a DVD player to my JVC via SCART and no show. Power cycling the TV brought it up.

Forgot! 50 feet seems a long run for VGA or HMDI? If you find picture degradation (or just no go!) you can get VGA adaptors that put the video down CAT5 cable and that can run 90mtrs or so. HDMI can also be done but you need two CAT 5s in parallel. CAT cable is very cheap.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 pm

[quote="ef37a"]Have you got the PC setup for an external screen?

Thanks Dave, I will try when I get the chance and get back to you. No I did not, I am not sure this pc has a setup for that or dual monitor, will look into it.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 pm

ef37a wrote: Have you got the PC setup for an external screen? Press the Windows key +P and you get the options. You might have to delve into the setup menus to make sure the VGA port is activated. Dave.

Yes Dave, the setup is set on Computer Only, didn;t expect this pc to have those options but thanks!

https://i.postimg.cc/cHF0ZQPJ/IMAG0446- ... 127830.jpg

So would I need to do anything else except for selecting either Extend or Projector only options please? I can only connect the TV tomorrow sometime.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:54 pm

ef37a wrote:Have you got the PC setup for an external screen? Press the Windows key +P and you get the options. You might have to delve into the setup menus to make sure the VGA port is activated. Dave.

So I tried Inputs 4 and 5 and tried the different options selecting "Extend and Duplicate" but no signal.
mikehende
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 pm

VGA is a fairly old and stable protocol so shouldnt be a problem with old TVs.

You need to make sure the PC is transmitting video (as Dave says, Windows + P and extend or duplicate the desktop), and that the TV is expecting video from the VGA input. For the former, can right-click on the desktop and select the display properties to see if two-screens is enabled. The specific setting depend on the laptop but it should be fairly obvious.

For the latter, either you know the input number (it may be written near the port) or maybe there's an "auto" function that scans all the input. Keep in mind it's analog tech so the handshake can take a few seconds.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mikehende » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 pm

The manual and the diagram on the back of the TV shows input4, that is what works for the HDMI in any case so don't know what else to do.
mikehende
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:47 pm

mikehende wrote:The manual and the diagram on the back of the TV shows input4, that is what works for the HDMI in any case so don't know what else to do.

Apologies if I have missed something.

If you connect VGA to VGA:

- why do you mention HDMI?
- you would need a separate audio cable from the PC to an audio input on the TV (usually red and white RCA sockets, and usually a cable from TRS mini-jack to RCA, to take the signal from the pc headphone output), as VGA deals only with video
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm

No worries. The TV has 2 input connectors on Input 4, a VGA and an HDMI.

Testing from my imac's HDMI connector to the HDMI on the TV, no issues.

The problem is getting the VGA from my windows pc to work with the VGA on the TV
mikehende
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Right. If the Input 4 is "shared" between VGA and HDMI, is it possible that you have to select (via an options menu on the TV) which one you want to actually use?

Which TV model is it?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Cool. it's the classic VGA + audio cable setup, actually with a mini-jack to mini-jack which is an easier cable to find than mini-jack to RCA.

But the manual says it's input 5, not 4? It sounds very odd with "shared" inputs, I never saw a monitor having any...
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Either way, doesn't work on any input.
mikehende
Regular

Postby wireman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 pm

I might as well ask just to be 100% clear. Can you send a photo of the back of your PC? I presume it has a single VGA connector only and that is connected to some monitor you currently use?
wireman
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:18 pm

mikehende wrote:Either way, doesn't work on any input.

Are you positive that the pc is sending? You have to tell it explicitly, only connecting the cable won’t be enough.

If you’re sure that the pc is sending and you have selected input 5 as source and nothing happens, then something is broken. Could also be the cable..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehende » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm

The one VGA connector is working perfect with a pc monitor so no issues.

Sorry I had forgotten to mention that my imac works with the HDMI with a DP to HDMI adapter which is why I am thinking a VGA to HDMI adapter might work also.
mikehende
Regular

PreviousNext