You are here

Pickup Placement - What do you think ?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pickup Placement - What do you think ?

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 am

the elusive P90. somes they do, somes they don't, eh? This thread has been bad for my jones and even worse now that I pulled 9 guitars out of the closet to fix my boiler.

I feel a build coming on.

If you haven't yet heard of Jason Lollar in jolly old england (due to brexit, no capitals for you anymore), he makes some very nice pups. He's in the US, not UK...I mean, his pups sound better than most - I'm a tad skeptical of boutique gear in general, but he's the real deal. I put two of his filter 'trons in a single piece ash tele build that has a sound like no other :-) I"ve also used his "52 tele winds to very good effect, looks like I'm setting myself up to try the P90s - unless I run into an OEM set from '69. I also love SD, hard to go wrong there.

I think I'd put the P90 up top and the strat in the middle though. just a gut feeling it'd be more versatile. Apologies for being a flagrant fanboy...
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:12 pm

We do know of Jason Lollar pickups over here. They are on the expensive side, and there are only a few stockists (Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience being the only one that I can remember) but they do have a very good reputation.

But there are now a wide range of UK pickup winders that are producing some equally nice pickups. I've got a set of low/powered dog ear P90s from The Creamery that I'm hoping are very nice, but I have yet to finish the es330 style kit guitar they are going in, so can't say what they are like until I do finish.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby John Egan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:15 pm

I have a Chris Eccleshall Strat with Lollar pickups and they do sound really good. Most guitarists who hear them comment on how good they sound (even when I'm playing).

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Previous