You are here

Fender Acoustisonic Tele

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Fender Acoustisonic Tele

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:58 pm

The ads for this have recently been doing the rounds. It looks like a seriously nice bit of kit - cross between an acoustic and a Tele. There are now youtube vids for it and it seems to sound pretty good as well. I'll be interested to see what the neck is like.

But .. 1600quid .... hmmmnnn ... not sure about that. That's a lot of moolah. Admittedly, it will probably be heavily used (it looks like a godsend for live work), but still...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Fender Acoustisonic Tele

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:19 pm

It ain't right. It ain't natural. And I won't 'ave it in the house!

Actually I play a Line6* already so it does look very interesting.

* As an aside I had to lend my Variax to the band we were supporting the other week and I actually got to listen to it from the audience. It sounded lovely.**
** When he was playing it... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:21 pm

blinddrew wrote:It ain't right. It ain't natural. And I won't 'ave it in the house!

Yep....my initial thoughts. I had an admittedly much, much cheaper Telecoustic (£200-300 I think) several years ago but it was awful. Absolutely awful. Won't ever entertain the idea again, let alone at £1600.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 pm

You can get a decent Tele and a decent acoustic for far less than £1600. And the look...

:thumbdown:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:20 pm

The acoustic tele Steve Winwood is playing here sounds absolutely awful.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyV6lfarqSY
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Or, if you already own a Telecaster (or any other electric guitar), the for about £100

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ac-3/
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:26 pm

Dave B wrote:The ads for this have recently been doing the rounds. It looks like a seriously nice bit of kit - cross between an acoustic and a Tele. There are now youtube vids for it and it seems to sound pretty good as well. I'll be interested to see what the neck is like.

But .. 1600quid .... hmmmnnn ... not sure about that. That's a lot of moolah. Admittedly, it will probably be heavily used (it looks like a godsend for live work), but still...

it'll be shite
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am

blinddrew wrote:It ain't right. It ain't natural. And I won't 'ave it in the house!

If you ever find yourself in upstate New York, let's get drunk. My shout.

This, btw, is a telecaster. Everything else is just a sign that your marketing team is past it's pull by date.

Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:22 am

The marketing dept coughed this hairball up -

"The company describes the “Acoustic Engine” as, “a proprietary blend of classic analog and future technologies that optimizes the guitar’s natural sound, and then modifies the resonance to deliver a curated collection of voices. These acoustic and electric voices can be played solo or blended via the Mod Knob to create new sounds. They can also be used simultaneously, courtesy of the Fender Acoustasonic Noiseless magnetic pickup.”

I generally like the envelope being pushed, but what a load of crap. Somebody please go play one and give us the real skinny! And if by chance you have a Variax to compare it to - that could be most interesting.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:36 am

20 years ago I used to push the envelope every day......... I was a postman......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00 am

ManFromGlass wrote:I generally like the envelope being pushed, but what a load of crap. Somebody please go play one and give us the real skinny! And if by chance you have a Variax to compare it to - that could be most interesting.
I think that if I walked into a guitar shop and asked to try a $1600 guitar they'd just give me THAT look until I just shuffled away quietly.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Here if it’s hanging on the wall they let you take it down and see how Stairway To Heaven sounds. Although I’m told the younger generation is going more for Sweet Child of Mine.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby arkieboy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 pm

I have to say as someone who is looking into modifying 2 of his favourite guitars with piezo bridges, it looks awful and I wouldn't be seen dead with one for £160 yet alone the asking price
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Which is £1699 in Andertons, the extra £99 adding insult to injury.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Egan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 pm

That's hellish expensive. I think I might try a Mexican '69 Thinline Tele and add a piezo bridge, if necessary - and I'm not sure it would be. That model is very clean and clear - probably because of the megohm pots.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Hmmm

have I ever seen an electric/acoustic hybrid ?

Hmmmm

I wonder./...

(loses count in his head )

Groundbreaking??

only if you use it as a spade
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 pm

I found the delay pedal
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:35 pm

I must say that the video demos of the Acoustasonic have me very impressed at the acoustic sounds.

https://youtu.be/1iNVS2LwEOI

I've heard far worse from the pickups in much more expensive acoustics.

But I'm still waiting to hear if it's any good in Tele pickup mode through a normal guitar amp.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 pm

Dave B wrote:The ads for this have recently been doing the rounds. It looks like a seriously nice bit of kit - cross between an acoustic and a Tele. There are now youtube vids for it and it seems to sound pretty good as well. I'll be interested to see what the neck is like.

Ugly as hell but if it worked it would be great. My set has both acoustic and electric songs (and sometimes on the record I play different parts with different instruments) so if it worked it would be a godsend live. Gonna try one.

Gotta reproduce the electric sound of a strat tough..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Just got that one pickup, which isn't specifically a Tele or Strat one but is called an 'Acousticsonic Noiseless Magnetic' pickup. No chance of Strat neck or mixed pickup sounds though.

Just found this, Andertons vid, where they do try it out through guitar amps with steel strings and some extra gain and it sounds pretty good (bridge pickup starts about half-way through).

https://youtu.be/4CHxkYP1FQs
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Next