You are here

Octave pedal or guitar synth?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Octave pedal or guitar synth?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:17 pm

I want to be able to add bass line to rhythm guitar loops. I have tried a couple of octave pedals which are okay mixed in with the original guitar signal but pretty poor on their own (I'm sure I could improve things with more practice and better technique but probably not enough to get a credible bass track).

Today I nearly went out and bought a Boss RC-300 'super looper' which has a transpose function (not for that feature alone I hasten to add) but resisted the temptation.

Any reasonably priced suggestions (i.e. not a Fender GR ready Strat and Roland GR-55) which will generate passable bass guitar lines from a standard (and, usually, acoustic, which doesn't help) guitar.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Octave pedal or guitar synth?

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:22 pm

A bass and an A/B input switcher?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Yup, already considered that but I'm thinking of it for busking/open mics so that's just too clunky....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 pm

Double neck? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I want to be able to add bass line to rhythm guitar loops. I have tried a couple of octave pedals which are okay mixed in with the original guitar signal but pretty poor on their own (I'm sure I could improve things with more practice and better technique but probably not enough to get a credible bass track).

Today I nearly went out and bought a Boss RC-300 'super looper' which has a transpose function (not for that feature alone I hasten to add) but resisted the temptation.

Any reasonably priced suggestions (i.e. not a Fender GR ready Strat and Roland GR-55) which will generate passable bass guitar lines from a standard (and, usually, acoustic, which doesn't help) guitar.

Challenge with an octaver is that it's gonna affect the whole signal. You could split the guitar output to two independent loops with the ABY, placing the octaver and a an low-pass EQ in one and leave the other clean (or whatever ordinary signal chain you have).
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hewesy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Maybe a bass FX might help improve the tone, add some amp SIM to round things out as the Octaver would be intended to feed a guitar amp.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm

Maybe one of these with an octave pedal would do the job.

https://www.submarinepickup.com

And reviewed in SOS too.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/le ... -submarine

And here's something similar...

http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic/one_and_t ... ckups.html

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 pm

If you don't already have a looper, then the Boss RC-505 has a bass effect on input. I only use mine with keyboards, so I don't know how well it tracks guitars - could be worth a search on YouTube.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks guys......

I do have several loopers including a Boss RC-3 in the gig bag and an RC-30, neither of which have the transpose fx, so I was thinking of the RC-300 which, I suspect, much the same as the 505. As the purpose if to generate rhythm tracks on the fly for busking and open mic sessions anything that adds multiple extra leads and boxes is probably not practical. I have a cheap octave pedal and a couple of oldish multi fx (Boss GT3 and Digitech RP360) with octave/transpose functions but they're not great.

The Submarine is interesting but, as I'll be adding the bass line over the rhythm guitar part rather than at the same time the only real advantage would be being able to eq it differently to the normal pickup.

Maybe the way ahead is to eq the guitar for the cleanest signal with not too much treble so the octave pedal has the best chance of tracking it?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Is the Octave first in line? If you're using a Boss OC3 or something with split outs you could then EQ/FX each side and mix back together to hit the looper.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks H, but that would require another box and more cables. I think eq-ing the guitar before the octave pedal might be worth a try as I suspect the issue is with tracking rather than the sound output from the pedal. I will experiment with that and with having the octave pedal first in line.

The problem is, I think, that of acoustic guitars and their abundance of overtones but for my needs an electric guitar is probably not an option (will try the Jazz box though).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:11 pm

A compressor might help before the Oct - I have found my OC3 prefers electric over my fingerstyle acoustic but that's probably just my playing.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:48 pm

I'll give that a try too, acoustic must be harder for the octave pedal to decipher than electric due to the higher overtones and less sustain. I think I'll revisit the RP360 and set up an eq/comp/octave fx chain just for the bass sounds, I can then bypass it for the 'normal' guitar sound. If that works the next job is build a Li-Ion battery pack into it :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm

FWIW I’ve been using a Submarine with an acoustic into an MXR octave pedal. I eq the submarine signal pre the MXR. Not looping, more playing bass and rhythm at the same time (or trying to), or just bass lines.

Guy I was playing with did the same thing only he used an EHX pitch fork. The MXR sounds better to me but the EHX tracks better.

Cheers
A
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Just been playing with my cheapo pitch pedal and, an octave down, it is very 'warbly' even with all the top rolled off (with a way pedal as that is what's on the board). It's not at the front of the sig chain as I use it for chorus/detune on my electric board (for fusion style lead with distortion and delay). I suspect it's simply not very good so I may go and try the Boss along with the RC-300 octave fx
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm

If it's anything like the 505 it should be OK, if not amazing. I wouldn't roll the top off, though - the more the tracking has to bite on the better.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks Elf, not having to do extra eq and stuff would be a good thing. I'll go and have a play with one later in the week.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Just been and bought a Boss RC-300. It has a "Guitar>Bass" effect which works pretty well as long as you stick to the bottom octave but if you go higher it gets very 'warbly'. Good enough for my needs I think (and significantly better than the cheap octave pedal). It has more stuff on it than you can shake a rhythm stick at so should keep me amused for a while.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster